Chapter Eleven

Mama kept up a steady stream of condemnation on my appearance and my apparent tendency to being hen-witted. Nothing I said would have appeased her, so I held my tongue and tried not to listen. It was difficult enough to keep up my courage without being told I'd made a mistake.

I kept my head held high as I entered the drawing room. It looked as though all the other guests had arrived ahead of us, so I found myself the target of many eyes. Though it was not easy, I tried to maintain the attitude that nothing had changed.

"Mrs. Burnham, Miss Burnham, I am delighted you could attend," Mrs. Everson, our hostess for the evening, said as she approached. She cast a glance over me. "You must give me the name of your dressmaker. I've not seen a more elegant gown this season!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the color rising in Mama's face. "Thank you, Mrs. Everson," I said quickly. "Mama and I are pleased to be here."

"I will not keep you to myself," Mrs. Everson said, seeming not to notice that I hadn't given her the name. "I'm sure you will be much sought after tonight. Mrs. Burnham, have you met Miss Swanson and her mother yet?"

As if to confirm her words, Mr. Landon approached while she pulled my mother away. Had she done so on purpose? I barely had time to wonder before the gentleman spoke. "Our hostess had begun to wonder if some misfortune had befallen you. I am delighted to see that was not the case."

So our delay had been noticed. I couldn't tell whether I ought to be embarrassed or delighted. "The streets are full this evening."

The corner of his mouth quirked up as though he were fighting a smile. "Are they? I hadn't noticed."

Thankfully, dinner was announced then. Mr. Landon extended his arm to me as our host went to an elderly, titled lady. "May I escort you, Miss Burnham?" The young man asked with an inviting smile.

Delighted, I placed my hand on his arm. "Thank you, Mr. Landon."

All of the married men and women went ahead of us, so we were among the last to enter the dining room. To my disappointment, Mr. Landon was not seated next to me, but I looked forward to continuing our conversation after dinner.

"Have you recently come to town, Miss Burnham?" Mr. Miles Russell asked, his blue eyes friendly.

Was my appearance so changed that I was unrecognizable? "Oh, no," I said with a smile. "Besides a few visits to the country, I've spent my entire life in London, and I've been enjoying the season a great deal. I recall I met your mother a few weeks ago, and the young ladies who have been staying with her."

To my surprise, a flush spread up his neck. "Miss Ramsey and Miss Bywood, you mean."

"They're lovely girls," I said, dipping my spoon into the soup. Though turtle soup was by no means my favorite dish, I always took care to make a show of enjoying it whenever it was served. I knew how exotic it was. "Have you known them long?"

"Miss Bywood's brother and I attended school together."

"I have not had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bywood. Did he not come to Town?"

My dinner companion fidgeted slightly, and I realized he was not comfortable with the way the conversation was going. How odd. "My friend is on a Grand Tour, and is currently in Italy," he said, his tone cold.

"Italy? How fascinating? Has he sent you any tidbits about the country?"

As I'd traveled very little, I was always curious about those who'd had the opportunity or knew of someone who had. "As much as I hate to disappoint a beautiful lady, I have nothing to pass on," Mr. Russell said to me.