Chapter Five

Three days later, I went to Mama's dressing room as she'd asked me to the night before. It was, by far, my least favorite room. Although the color pink was enjoyable, I disliked the many shades that decorated the room. Unsure how long my mother would expect me to keep her company, I took a book along with me.

"I noticed that you did not smile much at Lord John last night, Eugenia."

Surely my mother hadn't asked me to join her to scold for something she could have mentioned in the carriage on our way home. "Our conversation was not such that smiling was encouraged," I said honestly.

"All conversation is an encouragement for smiles. How else do you expect to look your best when you speak to eligible gentlemen. Lord John is—"

"Old enough to be my grandfather," I said with rather more impatience than I intended. "His wife died no more than six months ago."

Mama heaved a sigh. "Summon Mary, Eugenia," she said. She held her hand to her forehead as though she had a headache. "I have instruction to give our new lady's maid."

Did that mean Mary had the position? I obediently went to the bellrope and pulled it. I returned to my stool and waited for the maid to arrive, which she did less than five minutes later. To my surprise, she had a sullen expression on her face.

"Bring Nelson to me," Mama ordered.

The name caught my attention. Had she hired the very woman Bridges had recommended? Mama closed her eyes and reclined on her chaise longue. "Lord John is still young enough to marry again. He has a fine estate, and has shown he is capable of keeping a wife."

"Mama, he is not going to court me."

"Certainly not if you refuse to smile at him."

We were not going to see eye to eye on this. Mama continued to endorse Lord John's eligibility, highlighting that if he did not live long I would be a wealthy widow. After only a few minutes, I stopped listening and opened my book.

"Oh, there you are, Nelson," Mama said, getting my attention. "I'm so glad you have finally come. There are just so many things that need to be done before the dinner tomorrow night."

Lifting my gaze from the book on my lap, I spotted the young woman who stood just inside the room. There was something familiar about her, though I couldn't quite pin down what it was. Her gown was severe and plain, and her brown hair was pulled back in a chignon. She had brown eyes, which held a serious expression. Nothing about her seemed remarkable, except...she had an air of dignity about her.

"Eugenia, this is the new lady's maid I told you about," Mama said, putting her hand on my arm. "I tried to convince your father we needed a French maid. Perhaps people will think she is one if we call her Julie? Julie sounds almost French, does it not?"

How many times had Mama asked Father about hiring a French maid? "Mama, I think all we should worry about is whether she is going to stay or not," I said, studying Nelson. "I thought Papa was going to consider Mary for the position."

"Mary hasn't the experience to take on the position." Mama's tone was dismissive. She leaned back once again and closed her eyes. "Perhaps, given time, she will become useful. Right now, though, we need you looking your very best, Eugenia. You know how important it is for the family."

Pulling my gaze from the new maid, I shook her head and closed my book. "It's not fair to put all the family's hopes on me, Mama. You expect too much from me. I am not the kind of girl that will make the brilliant match that all society will talk of. You know that."

There was the sound of someone clearing their throat softly, and I glanced at Nelson. "Was there something specific you wanted me to do, ma'am?" she asked.