Chapter Four

As I made my way along the corridor, I caught sight of my father's valet, Bridges, in conversation with Miss Graham. They both nodded as though they agreed on something. Bridges glanced in my direction and said something too low for me to catch.

Miss Graham spun around. "Eugenia," she said as she came towards me. Behind her, Bridges vanished into a room. "How was shopping?"

"Uneventful. Mama found a fan she declared delightful."

It had been a week since Evans had left. Mary was managing to assist Mama and me well enough, but she had other responsibilities in the house to care for. I had no doubt she was exhausting herself trying to be the best she could. Miss Graham had tried one to help me with my hair, but she had been as unable to tame it like everyone else who had attempted.

"What were you talking to Bridges about?"

The governess' gaze shifted to the side. "He was telling me that your father will be going away on a trip soon."

Not for the first time did I learn something from the servants first, though Miss Graham wasn't precisely a servant. Had Bridges told her simply to be the first one to pass on some news? "I am surprised he thought to tell you," I said with a frown.

To my surprise, the governess straightened her shoulders. "Why shouldn't he? You know Daphne and Calliope's behavior is worse when your father is away. Bridges was kind to give me fair warning that I would have my hands full." Miss Graham's defense was more forceful than I expected.

"Forgive me, Miss Graham," I said, unsettled to see her so annoyed. "I didn't mean anything by what I said."

"Bridges also mentioned he knew of a respectable lady's maid seeking a position," Miss Graham said as though I hadn't spoken. "He has included the woman's references with the letters of inquiry your mother has received."

"I'm sure Mama will take her into consideration."

"You might mention Miss Nelson to your mother. Bridges is a fine man, and a recommendation from him is no little thing. Of course, he cannot say such a thing to your mother."

The last thing I wanted was to be in the middle of negotiations for the position. As long as a maid was employed soon, I would be happy. "Mama will only tell me she knows best. If this Miss Nelson is the most qualified, then the position will be hers."

"You ought to take more of an interest in this, Eugenia. After all, this will be a task you must perform when you have your own household."

I didn't appreciate being reprimanded in such a manner. "True enough, but I know for a certainty that Mama will not allow me to interfere in any way. Speaking of Daphne and Calliope, where are they, Miss Graham?"

"Is that a hint that I must return to my duties, Miss Burnham?" There was the slightest hint of sarcasm in the governess' tone of voice which surprised me. She'd always been level-headed and reasonable. While not an openly loving individual, she'd taught me and been almost like a friend in the schoolroom. Why was she behaving like this?

"I said no such thing. My only concern is that my sisters tend to cause mischief whenever they are not being watched."

Shaking her head, Miss Graham walked away from me, though whether it was to find my sisters or because she was annoyed with me, I couldn't tell. She'd left me feeling as though I had been in the wrong.

Breathing out, I made my way to my room. Tomorrow, Mama would begin interviewing candidates for the position. Mary had gone quiet when I told her.

I sat at my dressing table and stared at my reflection for a moment. My hair, so curly and wild, was already a mess. There had been a wind when Mama and I have gone out, and that always exasperated the situation.