13 - Exhausted

"Did you get lots of candy?" Brinley asks, kneeling in front of Charlie

"Yes!" Charlie exclaims.

"Did Daddy eat it all?"

"Yes..." She says, a little pout on her lips.

"I did not." I cut in. Though, now I wish I had eaten it all. Just kidding.

"Yes you did!" She says, sticking her tongue out at me.

"Oh you little.." I grab ahold of her, tickling her sides. She lets out a huge fit of big belly laughter.

"Daddy, stop it!"

It was already November. Which meant, I had known Brinley for a whole month. And during that whole first month, I've done nothing but think about her when I wasn't with her.

"Did he save me any?" Brinley asks.

"Maybe..." Charlie says before turning around and pulling a Twix bar out of her backpack.

"Really? Thank you!" Brinley says, putting the candy bar in her pocket.

"You're welcome!" Charlie says, throwing herself in Brinley's arms.

"Why don't you go with Nora to the playground, while I talk to Daddy."

Fuck me. I didn't even have a Daddy kink.

"Okay!" She says, taking Nora's hand before they walk out of the room.

Dr. Simmons turns towards me, a sympathetic look on her face. "Mr. Brooks, the chemo is working, just... Not enough. We're going to have to consider surgery if it doesn't start working stronger." She says and my expression falls.

I'd hoped surgery wouldn't happen.

"Christian, because she's had cancer before. Surgery is the best option to make sure the Luekemia doesn't come back." Brinley says and I look at her.

"How long do I have, to decide?" I ask, swallowing slowly.

"We need to know by the end of next week." Dr. Bennet says, his arms crossed against his chest.

"Okay..."

"We'll give you some time." Dr. Simmons says before the three of them head out the door.

Brinley stops in the doorway, "I'd go with surgery Christian, it's her best option. It could keep coming back until she has surgery, why keep putting her through this?" She says before walking out.

I sit down on the bed, taking a deep breath. They were right. But, that didn't mean I wanted to put my three year old through surgery. But, I suppose it's better than the cancer coming back and her having surgery when she's a teenager and will remember the pain of it forever.