Chapter 2

Harley wasn't celebrating his eighteenth birthday like other teens. There was no party, there was no cake, there weren't any happy birthday wishes. Mrs. Kramer was in her cheeriest mood yet at his departure, humming to herself as she made her deadbeat husband and demon child breakfast. Chester gifted him with a middle finger, smashing his bare ass against the window facing out into the front yard as Harley settled on the porch, but he truly couldn't be happier. He even laughed at the pale, freckled cheeks, and the greasy print it left behind on the clear window pane, because the moment he was waiting years for had finally arrived. Even on the cold brick steps of his old home, even in the setting sun and the warm Chicago air, Harley couldn't have been more content. He was going to see his brother after so many years, the very person Harley had idolized all throughout his life, treating him like a god that could do no wrong. People on the outside would never understand Harley's idolization of his brother, running away at fifteen to join a gang was hardly something most considered admirable, but Harley knew his brother always had a way in life, despite the rotten hand they had been dealt. Although all Harley had received from his brother after moving in with his aunt were some sporadic phone calls over the years and rare opportunities for visitation, his brother had always promised to come back for Harley when he was old enough to be released from his aunt's care. There was not a single doubt in Harley's mind that he would stay true to his word. He would wait until the end of time for his brother.

Two black ants fought on the sidewalk a few feet away from him, their mandibles clashing like two goats knocking horns, each ant trying to overpower the other. It was fairly entertaining, and definitely helped pass the time away. Eventually, one ant managed to overpower the other, pushing it to the ground and climbing on top of its body where it landed the final fatal blow with a crush to the other ant's head. Harley watched as the victorious ant climbed down from the dead carcass of the other ant, only to grab the bread crumb that had been laying next to the fighting ants and wander off, surely to go enjoy its prize.

Harley's ears perked up at the throttle of a car approaching, getting increasingly louder as the car emerged from down the street and sped closer to the house. The sound was almost ear-splitting in volume, a stark contrast to the soft whirling of the electric cars that normally traveled these roads.

This car was all Southside.

When the grey, 1990's Volvo came screeching to a halt in front of the house, the loud hum of the engine purring from the street, Harley couldn't help the goofy smile that broke across his face.

"There's my kid brother!" a man called, his tall frame and broad shoulders appeared to break apart the sun, the rays being forced to scatter around him, creating an aura of pure light and an angelic glow. His crooked smile and thick eyebrows were framed by high cheekbones that always made the girls swoon, and caused Harley to sometimes pinch at his own less chiseled cheeks in insecurity. Harley was lean, but certainly didn't get his brother's sharp cheekbones and pronounced jawline. Forgetting all about the black duffel bag filled with his belongings, Harley surged forward towards the man, throwing himself into his open embrace and putting his own arms tight around his torso. Harley hadn't caught up in height to his brother like he had originally anticipated, given that he still only came up to under his brother's chin, but he couldn't find a part of him that could care any less.

"Axel!" He breathed, burying his face into his brother's shirt, catching the smell of stale weed and cheap cologne.

"Hey, Harley, what's with the dramatics? You know I'll always come back," Axel's chest rumbled with laughter. Harley did know this, but having his brother in front of him after six years was better than anything in this world. "Look, you left your bag on the porch. Go get your stuff, I'm not made of money," Axel ruffled Harley's ashy brown locks, before nudging him forward. Harley made a beeline for the porch, not wanting another second with his brother absent, before grabbing his bag and rushing back towards the car. Axel stepped forward, taking the bag from his little brother and placing it in the back seat as Harley ran around to the passenger side. It was like he was thirteen again, when Axel had just gotten his driver's license and they were cruising around the Southside of Chicago on those hazy summer days, blasting nineties hip hop music and annoying the neighborhood like the rowdy teenage boys they were. That was his favorite visit from Axel over the years, and his aunt screamed at him when he returned with wind blown hair and a dopey smile on his face, but it gave him the motivation to hold on until he could be finally reunited with his brother.