Chapter 10

Lucas had his sights set on the lithe figure storming down the dark sidewalk, shaking his head at the man's insistence on continuing to walk around alone at night with one working streetlight for every block. Harley was going to get himself hurt- or killed.

"Harley, come here," Lucas demanded, and Harley's pace faltered slightly hearing his actual name leave his mouth, but shook off the surprise and continued.

"Just leave me alone, Lucas! I'm not going back to that house!" Harley's strained voice echoed in the empty street, heavy with emotion.

"We won't go back, we can take my car and go somewhere, but I can't leave you alone," Lucas huffed.

"Why not?"

"Because you're going to get robbed or shot. You don't even have anything to defend yourself with."

Harley finally skidded to a stop, and Lucas let out a small breath as he caught up to him. His head was still bowed towards the pavement, seemingly considering his options, before finally turning and surpassing Lucas to walk back to the house without sparing a single glance at the taller man. "Which car?" He grumbled.

"The grey Taurus."

Lucas was a few steps behind Harley as he slid into the passenger side of the car, slamming the door behind him angrily. Pausing with his hand on the door handle, Lucas closed his eyes and breathed deeply, preparing himself to deal with a grown man turned angsty teen.

"Is this car from the 90s too or somethin'?" A small voice questioned as Lucas got into the car.

"It is actually," he confirmed, buckling himself in and starting the car. "We all have old ass cars because we're broke."

Harley went silent for a moment as they backed out of the driveway and drove down the quiet block, Lucas glancing at his turned down mouth and splotchy face. The fact that he had been crying freaked Lucas out a little, as the stony faced man was never good with emotions himself, much less knowing how to comfort someone else. He racked his brain for a remedy as he adjusted the radio to play softly.

"Are you hungry? I'll pay," he offered, eyes flicking quickly between the road and Harley. The other man was curled against the door, turned away from Lucas, as though he was hiding his face.

"No, it's fine," he muttered dejectedly, and Lucas could see him playing with the strings of his hoodie.

"We're getting food. I haven't seen you eat in hours, there's no way you're not hungry," Lucas said with conviction, setting course for the local roadside drive-in. Harley straightened slightly, glancing back at Lucas' stoic expression before averting his gaze back out the window. He didn't realize someone was keeping such close tabs on his behavior that night, but he should've known Lucas would have, as he watched everything like a hawk. Harley sighed, not having the energy to protest, and he could admit he was starting to get the shakes from his hunger.

The car was silent as they drove through the busier main streets of Southside, as people were frequently out and about late at night in that part of the city. Harley's attention piqued as Lucas turned right into a bustling parking lot, the glowing lights of the diner illuminating all of the people and cars scattered about. A group was gathered under the outside seating area, laughing and flicking fries at each other, while others were huddled in their cars, some perched on top of the hood as they ate and conversed. A couple was weirdly making out in a dark corner, and Harley was wondering if they'd end up having sex over there- he'd have to remember to keep his sightline well away from that area.

Harley was startled slightly from looking around the lot as the car door was shut quickly, Lucas already gone from his seat by the time Harley glanced over, his tall figure darkened by the bright backlight of the diner's neon sign. He leaned further onto the door, pushing his face closer to the glass as he watched Lucas walk up to the order window. Every movement he made, from pulling his wallet from his pocket, to scoping out his surroundings as he waited for the food, seemed so fluid and intentional. Harley found himself wondering if the guy ever felt fear, ever felt as helpless as he did today outside of the store.