Chapter 33

"Axel!" Harley heard himself scream, but it sounded far-away, as though the voice was coming from someone else. He couldn't describe the out of body feeling he had as he clambered across the grass and over to his brother, completely oblivious to the dead body of his cousin not even a few feet away. Harley's chest heaved painfully as his trembling hands gripped at his brother's shirt, the oozing wound staring back at him. It was all so surreal, and he wasn't sure if he was hallucinating, or if this was all a dream. None of it seemed like reality.

Lucas dropped to his knees by Axel's side, setting down the gun and unzipping his hoodie quickly before pressing it to the gunshot, as dark drops of wetness began to appear in the fabric of Axel's tank top. Harley didn't even realize he had started to cry. Lucas was in complete concentration, numb to the world as his sole focus was on ceasing the bleeding.

"Axel, you'll be alright. We'll help you-" Harley spluttered, and Lucas kept his head down, simply continuing to apply pressure. Whipping his head up, Harley looked around madly, eyes zeroing in on Daniel still standing near the back door frozen in shock.

"Call a fucking ambulance, Daniel!" He yelled, intending to apologize for his tone later when Axel was stable and receiving medical attention. Daniel jolted as though he was electrocuted, stumbling over the threshold in his rush and scampering back into the house. Harley returned his gaze towards his brother, who had a distant look in his eyes and a soft smile gracing his face.

"Stay with us, Axel," Harely encouraged, squeezing his brother's shoulder as he pet his head lovingly.

"Harley. . ." Axel rasped, raising his hand weakly, to which Harley clutched onto like a lifeline. "I'm not going to make it. I can feel it."

"Shut up, Axel. You're going to be fine. Daniel's calling-"

"I don't have much time. Listen to me Harls. . ." Axel interrupted, furrowing his eyebrows as he swallowed thickly. "I want you to know that I love you, and I'm proud of you."

"Stop!" Harley screeched, bowing his head as his cries quickly turned into sobs.

"Lucas," Axel turned his head slightly to look at his best friend, who finally picked his head up to make eye contact. In a rush of strength, Axel's hand flew up to grab onto Lucas' arm, gripping it fiercely. Lucas' eyes quickly searched Axel's face, finally realizing that he was witnessing the end of a man who no one believed could even die.

"Look after Jackie and my daughter for me, and take care of Harley, okay?" Axel pleaded, a lone tear finally slipping down his temple.

"Of course," Lucas bit out through gritted teeth, shoulders sagging as he let go of the balled up jacket he had pressed to Axel's chest.

"And take care of yourself, Luke," Axel smiled, blood staining the front of his teeth as his eyes began to blink heavily. "I'm glad you finally found happiness."

Lucas nodded, a tear slipping down his cheek that he didn't bother to brush away. "Goodbye, Axel."

The two men could do nothing but watch as Axel's eyes finally slid closed and his chest ceased to rise with one final rattling exhale. Harley could no longer hold himself up, as he collapsed onto the ground next to Axel, wailing as he buried his face into his brother's arm. Standing on shaking legs, Lucas stepped around Axel's body, bending down to grab under Harley's arms and pull him away from his deceased brother. He didn't think staring at Axel's rapidly paling face was helpful for his current state.

As Lucas dragged his boyfriend a short distance across the grass, Harley put up quite the fight to get back to his brother's side, kicking and screaming as Lucas narrowly dodged some potential fists to the face.