Chapter 18

The water of the reservoir was cool where it pooled around Harley's calves, the gentle sloshing of water as he waded only slightly louder than the low hum of bugs in the brush. He looked up as a loud splash of water ripped through the serene environment, only catching a glimpse of Jonas' body before it crashed into the water, going under as some bubbles rose from where he had dove in. The hot, bright sun was beating down on the city of Chicago, and Harley rested a hand on his brow to cover his eyes, watching as Jonas burst out of the water with a laugh, shaking his head like a wet dog as his curly hair flung droplets everywhere.

"The water's fine, Harley! You not gonna get in?" He called, trudging through the water towards him from further out, where it was chest high.

Harley chewed on his lip, debating on how he was going to shake this one off. Nothing sounded better than a cool, refreshing dip in the reservoir, and Harley was dying to shuck off his t-shirt and go diving in only wearing his shorts. There was just. . . one problem. . .

"Ah, I don't know. I quite like it over here, actually. I can look for cool rocks," he responded sheepishly, bending down to grab a smooth, colorful stone to further emphasize his point.

"Since when did you not like swimming in the reservoir? This is, like, the cleanest swimming water you're gonna find in the city."

Harley should've known Jonas wasn't going to go down without a fight, that he would push and prod until the answer finally bled from Harley. That was one of things about Jonas that Harley wasn't too fond of.

He sighed as Jonas came to stand in front of him, water still dripping from his hair and chin, running down his toned chest and into the water. There was once a time Harley would have been salivating over the sight, but now he felt his cheeks go rosy thinking about the three spots that adorned his upper chest, artistically placed by Lucas himself.

"Fine. I'll go swimming then," He lamented, grabbing the back of his t-shirt and pulling it over his head. Jonas' deep brown eyes immediately narrowed in on the purple bruises on Harley's chest, before flicking his stare to his friend's blushing face and back to his chest again.

"Are those- holy fuck," he breathed, inching closer to get a better look. "Are those hickies?"

"They are."

Jonas shook his head, as though he thought he was imagining things, before looking back at Harley in shock. "Who? Who! Oh my God- who!"

"It was, uh. . ." Harley averted his eyes sheepishly, looking down as he moved his foot slowly across the sand. "You know that guy I said I thought hated me? Well. . ."

"You're kidding. You're brother's friend? That guy?"

"Guess he doesn't hate me anymore," Harley grinned devilishly.

"That's fucking wild," Jonas exclaimed, the water crashing around his legs as he jumped up suddenly, holding his head in disbelief. "Did- wait. . . did you guys have sex?" He whispered, leaning in with wide eyes as though it was a nuclear launch code he was uttering.

"No!" Harley yelled, backing up slightly. "No, no. Absolutely not. We just made out in my room for a bit."

"You want to though, right?"

Harley choked. "I- I mean, I guess? Eventually? Not right now, obviously. I still don't really know the guy. Are we done?" He snapped, suddenly feeling very flustered. Jonas looked at him as though he had grown two heads.

"No, we're not done! Are you two dating now?"

"It's- it's complicated," Harley huffed, shoulders deflating. "I don't know if we're exclusive, and we certainly didn't talk about labels, but he did say that this thing between us could continue if I wanted it to. And, fuck- of course I want it to. He's so hot, and not only that he. . . I don't know, just seems to have something so much deeper to him."