Chapter 8

"You sure you have to go? Maybe you could ask someone else? What about Lucas?" Jackie's thick eyebrows knitted together, looking at Axel with concern. Harley bristled from his place at the kitchen counter, a moss green coffee mug held tightly in his grip as he waited for the coffee maker. Was she seriously asking if Lucas could go on another deal? Harley had seen Lucas putting himself in danger more than everyone else in the house combined. Hell, the wounds he had been treating since Lucas was beaten to a pulp were barely healed.

Harley was surprised Lucas had allowed him to continue to care for the cuts on his face at all, much less voluntarily seek him out to care for them. The silly banter that had begun in the bathroom continued, and Lucas no longer looked at Harley like he was chewed up gum stuck to the bottom of his shoe. They weren't exactly friends either, but a noticeable shift in the energy between them had occurred; and Daniel, the ever socially intelligent one, was on it like a fly to a rotting corpse.

It wasn't everyday that someone who was once subject to Lucas' wrath was now met with neutrality, or even amusement.

It created a novel, and very...  interesting... dynamic. Harley had no doubts Axel was beginning to notice, which placed further pressure on their already strained relationship.

Harley meant to speak with him, per Jonas' advice, he just hadn't found the right time. He was busy mulling over exactly what he wanted to say for the past week and a half, and was struggling to create a concise list of everything he was even angry over.

He found that in every list, however, Lucas' treatment was at the very top.

And Harley wasn't exactly sure what to do with that fact.

"No baby, I have to do the work as well. I'll get us some beers and we can all have a nice evening though," he smiled back, smirking slightly as he pecked Jackie's cherry red lips. Axel ate the final piece of toast on his plate as he stood, walking over to the kitchen sink as he rinsed off his dishes next to Harley.

"Early day for you?" Harley asked, peeking at his brother's side profile from the corner of his eye.

"Yeah, I have quite a few errands to run. Jonas is still picking you up?"  He asked with raised eyebrows, leaning against the counter as he dried his hands with a heavily stained towel.

"Mhm, we're just going to hangout for bit," the younger brother smiled tightly, sparing a glance at Axel as he poured his coffee and took a tentative sip.

"Alright, let me know if you ever need a ride back," Axel looked serious, gripping Harley's shoulder. Harley merely nodded as his brother squeezed his shoulder slightly, looking at him softly for a moment longer before heading out the door.

Sighing, Harley carried his mug over gingerly, taking his seat at the table where only Jackie was present. He almost wished she had left with Axel, as the awkward atmosphere was suffocating.

He felt bad, he really did, as Jackie had no idea what was going on, and was by proxy stuck in the middle of things. Without Axel in the picture, it may even be a good opportunity to get to know her.

"So Jackie," he started, and the woman looked up quickly, surprised etched all over her face that he was even speaking to her. That just made Harley feel even guiltier. "How long have you and Axel been together?"

"Oh," she hummed, shoulders relaxing slightly as though she had been preparing herself for a beratement. "Only a couple months, but. . . he's the best man I've ever been with. It's obvious he really cares about his family, he's spoken so much about you."

"Really?" Harley gasped, mug faltering as he raised it to take a sip of coffee.

"All the time! I didn't mind though, it was nice to hear someone talk so highly of their family. I'm... not on speaking terms with my own family. It made me feel like I had a little brother again, since I don't speak with mine anymore," she smiled. Harley pursed his lips, casting his gaze down towards his coffee.