Chapter 6

Harley felt like time had come to a screeching halt as he fixed Daniel with a stare. "Lucas. Is in love with my brother."

"Oh yeah, has been for years. You can see why he's in a bad mood all of the time, must suck being forced to constantly watch the person you love be all intimate with someone else. Axel's girlfriend comes over all the time."

The scene of Lucas, Axel, and the girl right before he left suddenly all made sense- that pained look on Lucas' face as he stared at the couple.

It was the pain of unrequited love.

"God," Harley breathed, running his hands through his hair. "Does Axel know about this?"

"Yep," Daniel replied with a pop of his lips at the end. "Lucas had just told him recently actually, only a week before you got here, so things have been strange. I think Axel does love Lucas in a way, but not in the way Lucas wants. Their friendship has been a bit rocky since then. I don't know if Axel thinks he has to act a certain way to put some distance between Lucas' feelings and himself, but he's been a bit cold about it, remaining strictly business when it comes to Lucas."

"Yeah, I noticed that. . ." Harley trailed off, recounting all of the times he had witnessed Axel snap at him. He was a bit horrified at what was happening, him becoming more sympathetic of Lucas. The man has proven to be nothing but an ass to Harley, and painting his beloved older brother as a villain is something he never thought in a million years he would do. "So does Lucas like women and men?"

"Lucas likes women, men, and everyone in between. Lucas just likes people," Daniel chuckled, rubbing his hands together quickly, the night air a bit chilled despite summer quickly approaching.

"I'm sorry for keeping you out here. I'm alright, as you can see," Harley smiled, gesturing to himself before knocking back the rest of his drink.

"Why are you out here all by yourself man? Didn't you come with someone?"

"Yeah, my friend Jonas," Harley waved dismissively, glancing back towards the house before toying with the rim of his cup.

"Well, I don't see your friend anywhere. Why don't you come back with me? The TV might be available downstairs, and I know José loves movies before bed. He's been asking to watch Legally Blonde for weeks."

Harley thought about it for a moment, glancing at the house again. It didn't always end up like this, Jonas off doing God knows what with his girlfriend, but that's certainly how this night panned out.

"Alright. Let me find Jonas and let him know," Harley conceded. Daniel jumped up, pumping his fist in the air.

"Sweet! Let me tell José to get some snacks going," he grinned, typing fiercely on his phone.

With a huff, Harley got up, his sore knees protesting as he hobbled up the porch stairs, legs feeling slightly rubbery with the alcohol. The group of guys by the sliding glass door were all staring at the two now, tense expressions examining them as Harley walked to the threshold, Daniel finally putting the phone back in his pocket. Bracing a hand against the side, Harley paused to glare at them, for which their unnerving stares continued.

"You have something to say?" He asked sharply. For another second the stare down continued.

"Nothin' but two rats from Southside," Kyle sneered, the rest of the teenagers chortling behind him. Harley's eyes narrowed, but it was nothing compared to the steam he could feel wafting from Daniel.

"You wanna fucking go, jackass?" Daniel hissed, quickly intruding up into Kyle's face, to which the bratty Northsider responded by flicking out a switchblade. Harley's eyes grew wide, narrowing in on the blade before grabbing Daniel's shoulder and hauling him back, shoving him through the back door and into the house.