Chapter 19

Harley gazed up at the darkened ceiling, lying flat on his back with wide, unblinking eyes. All he wanted was to go to sleep, to gain a moment of peace from his racing mind. That wish simply wasn't in the cards, as his stressful thoughts and the early hour of night were not allowing him to drift off into the clutches of slumber.

The thing bothering him most was what Jonas had said earlier on that day, how Harley was no longer welcome near Jonas' family, and even any occasion where Jonas wanted to see him at all involved an entire stealth mission to bypass his helicopter mother. He couldn't believe that the same woman who practically watched him grow up, ever since Jonas and him met in middle school and had been friends ever since, now saw him as nothing more than chopped liver rotting in the bright sun.

All because he was living in the Southside. He was a bit of an outcast before, but still a part of the community and at least tolerated.

Now he had been officially outcasted.

The feeling brought a sick churning to the pit of his stomach, and Harley sat up quickly in bed, swinging his legs over the side.

He wanted to seek out solace in someone, and his body seemed to have a mind of its own as he slipped through his bedroom door and into the darkened hallway.

Creeping towards Lucas' bedroom, Harley sincerely hoped he wasn't out doing a deal or getting into some other kind of trouble.

A soft glow of light illuminated the crack underneath Lucas' bedroom door, indicative of a sign of life, and Harley felt his heart rate pick up as he approached. Despite their recent run in, Harley still paused by the door, unsure of where he and Lucas stood. It was obvious Lucas didn't despise him anymore, but were they really at the level where Harley could just come running over whenever he wanted? Lucas clearly thought of his bedroom as a safe space for himself, and wasn't too keen on letting anyone into that territory.

Harley recalled just a few weeks ago, Daniel had tried shoving his way into the room to tease Lucas, but ended up flying a few feet backwards right onto his ass. The fabric of Daniel's shirt was balled up in Lucas' fist as the older man loomed over him with a vicious sneer on his face.

As far as Harley knew, Axel was the only person allowed in Lucas' bedroom, and even he always knocked and received permission before entering. Harley would certainly do that much if he did decide to go to Lucas, but maybe he shouldn't be a bother and just-

"Why the fuck are you just standing out there? I swear to God, Daniel-" a muffled voice shouted from inside the room, which quickly became louder as the carpet creaked with footsteps rapidly stomping towards the entrance.

Harley stumbled back as Lucas ripped open the door, eyes focusing immediately on Harley before his shoulders slouched and those furious grey eyes softened. Lucas' aggressive stance was suddenly disarmed as he stared down at Harley in surprise.

"Harley?" He breathed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you. I'm just gonna. . ." Harley spluttered nervously, taking a few steps back and attempting to flee the situation. "Head back to my room. . ."

"Wait," Lucas called out abruptly, stepping forward to wrap his hand gently around Harley's wrist. "Why are you here?"

"It's stupid, really not worth it to take up your time. Don't worry about it-" Harley chuckled, waving his hand dismissively.

"I thought you were Daniel. He kept asking earlier to borrow money and I thought he was trying it again. I would never speak to you like that- I'm sorry," Lucas hurried, tightening his hand slightly around Harley's wrist. Swallowing thickly, Harley's eyes examined Lucas' remorseful expression and pleading eyes, before sighing deeply and conceding.