Chapter 22

"You getting excited for college?" Harley asked as Jonas skipped another rock on the surface of the reservoir. The other man tilted his head back to admire the distance the rock had gone, pushing his sweaty, curly hair away from his forehead as he sat down next to Harley on a drift log in the sand.

"Only to get away from home. I'm sick of it, hearing the things they're saying about people," Jonas squinted his eyes, his dark lashes fanning out close to his cheekbones, looking out over the water as the bright sun set before them.

"About people?" Harley prodded, although he had an idea of what Jonas meant.

"'Bout people who are just different from them. Not bad, just different. I lost respect for them the moment they wouldn't let me hangout with my best friend anymore. You're my ride or die," Jonas chuckled, punching Harley playfully in the shoulder. "You're a good person. Always been there for me, and I'll always be there for you."

"I appreciate that, Jonas. It means a lot to know," Harley smiled sadly, chucking a small rock out into the water where it plopped in pathetically, watching the ripples disperse until disappearing.

"I mean it. If I hear people talking shit about you, I set 'em straight. Just because you moved away doesn't mean you've suddenly become the boogeyman," Jonas' mouth twisted slightly, feeling his blood start to boil at the mere thought.

"I think many would disagree with you there."

"Well I don't care. It's bullshit. All I need is you and Michelle, that's it. And my car," Jonas huffed, and Harley smiled endearingly at his friend.

"Right."

"What about you? What's in the future?" Jonas asked, slumping down and wrapping his arms around his legs, pressing his sneakers further into the fine sediment.

"Not much, honestly. Still don't have a job, the neighborhood is slowly getting taken over by rich people, might not have even that in a few years. Got a man though," Harley bit his lip to hold back the ridiculous smile threatening to take over his face. "So I have that going for me."

"A man? Like- a boyfriend?" Jonas asked with excitement dancing in his eyes.

"Yeah, Lucas and I finally made it official," Harley chuckled, remembering a week prior when they made out on the bathroom floor. The smile he was trying to hold back eventually broke free at the memory, and how blissfully content they both were.

"I'm happy for you, bro. Although I'm still not super convinced Lucas even exists, given I've never seen him."

"You will. He's busy keeping the house afloat."

"And Axel?"

"Having a baby. We've been going on joyrides in the evenings though, just like we used to as teenagers. Going a little too fast with the music a little too loud. It's been real good," Harley sighed, resting his chin on his knees. "I can finally say that with some conviction."

"Sounds like a dream."

"It really is."

The two sat in a comfortable silence, watching the sun set over the reservoir in Northside and reflecting on everything that had led them up to this point. Harley could finally say that he felt peaceful in life, happy with where he was now in his living situation and relationship with Lucas and his brother. He found himself contemplating about the future often, maybe moving in with Lucas, babysitting his little niece or nephew as Jackie and Axel go on a date, finding some way to get to college eventually. He had all the faith in the world that Lucas could manage to find the funds, and until then, he would simply be patient and satisfied with the life he had now.