Chapter 11

The house was dark and vacant looking as Harley and Lucas came shuffling back in, so Harley didn't notice the figure resting on the sofa until it stood, moving cautiously over to the pair who had just entered.

As the moonlight filtered in through the kitchen window, Axel's sorrowful face was illuminated, eyes downcast apologetically. Lucas' jaw ticked, a little peeved at Axel himself after the discussion he had with Harley. He still believed it was his fault for causing the fracture that now cracked his and Axel's once rock solid relationship, but something about the way Axel conducted himself recently, with all of them, rubbed him the wrong way.

He nodded to Harley in farewell, knowing Axel was trying to speak with him privately, and he acknowledged Axel with a stare for a split second as well, before leaving the two in the kitchen and heading up the stairs to retire for the night.

Harley gazed at the side of his brother's face as Axel watched Lucas leave from over his shoulder, before turning back to his younger brother with a deep sigh.

"I know it's late, and I don't want to keep you up," he started softly, and Harley elected to stare at his dirty shoes instead of meeting his brother's eyes. He wasn't strong enough for that right now. "But I just wanted you to know that you are right. Completely right. If you're willing, I want to talk about it tomorrow and apologize properly. Nothing has made me hate myself more than knowing I was the reason you broke down. I love you, Harley. You will always mean the world to me," he sniffed, nodding to himself as Harley remained silent, before following the path Lucas' took back up the stairs.

Everything felt cold and lonely in the empty kitchen by himself, and Harley was quick to retreat to the solace of his own room. He was still pissed at Axel, and was almost hoping to make him feel his wrath for a little longer, but the entire reason he got so upset in the first place was because he wanted Axel to change. If he wanted that change, he would also have to put in the work with his brother.

As he crawled into bed for the night, neglecting his entire nighttime routine just to go unconscious for a while, he was hopeful for a positive outcome from all of this. Maybe he could convince Axel to have a dignified conversation with Lucas too, so that he could finally get something positive out of this as well.

It would be a nice gift in return for all of the kindness Lucas had shown him tonight, though he knew the man was drowning in discomfort the entire time while dealing with him.

On the other side of the house, Lucas threw his wallet onto the damaged nightstand next to his bed, slumping down onto the mattress with a deep sigh, and slowly shrugging his black hoodie off his tired body. A soft knock echoed through the room, causing Lucas' head to whip up in surprise.

"Come in," he grunted, peeling off his worn Superstars and flinging them off to the side. The door cracked open, just far enough for Axel's body to fit through. Lucas settled his steely gaze on the man, electing to simply remain silent and wait for Axel to start talking,

"I, um, just wanted to say thank you. For going after Harley and taking care of him," he whispered, as if something in the room would shatter if he spoke any louder. Lucas frowned slightly, shaking his head.

"Not a problem."

"Although. . ." Axel dipped his head down to stare at the floor, his light brown fringe falling into his eyes as his fingers tapped lightly on the door. Lucas rarely has seen Axel acting so meek and forlorn. "I'm surprised you went after him. I thought you hated him."

Lucas snorted, rolling his eyes. "I don't hate him. Besides, it's not like he would have wanted to see you."

"Right," Axel winced slightly. "Just thought it would be Daniel, since they seem to be the closest."