Chapter 23

"Is he still breathing?" The man in the front of the car asked yet again. Jonas had to bite his tongue to keep from lashing out, because he understood Lucas was just worried about Harley, and Harley's boyfriend could easily bash his nose so far into his head he'd end up looking like Voldemort.

"Yes," Jonas huffed pointedly, staring down at Harley's chest as it rattled with every shallow breath.

Jonas was thrown against the car door as Lucas took a sharp turn rather fast, and the jostling caused his unconscious friend to finally stir.

"Holy fuck," Harley groaned, screwing his eyes shut as he brought up a hand to hold onto his pounding head. Those intimating narrow eyes flicked up to the rearview mirror again, this time honing in on Harley.

"Harley? You with us?" Jonas shook his shoulder lightly.

"Guess so. Where are we? Last thing I remember was laying on the concrete," he mumbled, struggling to sit up as Jonas helped him carefully, positioning him upright in the empty seat. Harley blinked his eyes blearily, taking in his surroundings as his vision slowly cleared.

"We're going to the hospital, Harls," Lucas replied from the front seat, Jonas taken aback slightly at how soft his voice suddenly became.

"Lucas?" Harley breathed, suddenly realizing his boyfriend was near.

"I had to call him, Harley. Axel wouldn't pick up and I know you'd kill me if I called an ambulance," Jonas grimaced, hoping it wasn't the wrong move like they had just gotten into a fight or something. Harley blinked a few times, reaching out into the front of the car to grasp at Lucas' t-shirt for reassurance, the dark zip-up he was once wrapped up in now pooled into his lap. The brooding man took a hand off of the steering wheel to reach back towards Harley, replacing the balled up fabric in his fist with Lucas' warm hand. Jonas watched as Lucas' calloused thumb rubbed slow circles onto the back of Harley's hand in a comforting gesture, while his friend rested his forehead on the back of the passenger seat with his eyes closed.

"I feel like shit," he announced.

"We're almost there," Lucas responded, squeezing his boyfriend's hand lightly. Jonas decided to lean back and stare out the window, wanting to give the couple their privacy despite being stuck in a confined space with them.

Lucas pulled into the parking lot of a posh Northside hospital, and Jonas' stared at the man with wide eyes as he pulled into a space and turned off the car. He knew Lucas said they could manage the bill, but this- this would be a big bill. Especially since Jonas doubted any of them had medical insurance.

Harley slumped against the back of the passenger seat further as Lucas let go of his hand to get out of the car, frowning as the person he was seeking comfort from left. Lucas was quick to re-emerge though, opening the car door and crouching down slightly so he could meet Harley's eyeline.

"Can you walk? Don't try it if you know you can't," he sent a warning look towards Harley, who was still looking rather dazed, before he averted his eyes and furrowed his brows as though in deep thought.

"I can feel my legs," he finally decided.

"Good enough," Lucas grunted, grabbing Harley under his right arm and hoisting him out of the car, keeping a steady arm around him as he worked on balancing on two feet. Lucas then peered into the car, the shadows from the bright overhead lights in the parking lot making Lucas' already sharp features look even more frightening. "Jonas, do you mind walking with his arm around your shoulders? You're closer to his height."

"Uh, yeah," Jonas scrambled to unbuckle his seatbelt and rush out of the car to Harley's side.

At the mention of his arm, Harley seemed to perk up a little, whipping his head back and forth wildly as he slumped in Lucas' grasp.