Old Friends New Plans

One week later...

————

"With all due respect sir, this is bullshit!" Hector finishes as the general closes the computer screen.

"We cannot allow this to continue under any circumstances, Hector. We simply just don't have the manpower. 'Sides that, anyone who puts a foot out of line risks the safety of us all."

"But what about the treaty?! Any cruelty performed against the other will be punished!"

"Hector even with this information what do you expect me to do?! The moment any man sets foot back on enemy territory forfeits their life!"

Hector slammed his fist on the desk in front of him furiously as the general finished. "That animal is responsible for the tens of thousands killed across Europe! And you won't do a damn thing!"

The general runs a hand through his slightly grayed hair before rising to his feet becoming eye level with him. "Captain, you are dismissed..."

Grabbing the drive Hector grunted as he pushed away from the table and stormed out the door. Hector traversed his way through the crowded halls filled with refugees and soldiers. Most people were set up against the walls huddled up with their families but every so often he'd come across a few people sitting alone. Finally reaching the end of the hall a set of doors lead to the outside of the building.

The sun's light blinded him for a brief moment as he walked out. The area was completely full of tents, cars, and trucks all with people huddled together surrounded by medical staff and MP's checking in on everyone.

"Aw, hell..." Walking past the crowds was easier compared to the shelter he'd just left. However the only thing anyone could hear was the hundreds of voices all talking over each other. It sounded like the smallest amusement park having its busiest day.

Hector trudged along through the massive camp passing by the occasional familiar face helping set up the tents.

"Oi Hecter, that you?"

Hector turned to where the voice sounded from, it was hard to tell who called out his name with the amount of people out and about.

"I'll be damned, look! It's him!" The voice called out again.

Pushing his way through the crowds towards the voice Hector came across some of the other soldiers who were by his side during basic training. Most of them were covered in bandages, one was in a wheelchair.

"Am I glad to see you." The cripple says rolling up close to him. Upon closer inspection of his face he recognized the man.

"Damien?" Hector asked nervously hoping he didn't get the name wrong.

"Yup, it's me. How have you been? How long has it been?"

His mind raced for an answer, having not seen the old gang in almost eight years has caught him completely off guard.

"It's been too long old friend, but the bigger question needs addressing. The hell happened to you?"

"Me and the boys helped hold off an assault on the evac-site near Paris. Would'a brought you a postcard if I knew you were going to be stationed here. Frag got my legs a little, but for the most part we're all ok." He replies almost gasping for air.

"Take it easy, don't need the doctors yelling at me for talkin' to you."

Damien gives a small nod along with a cough, the soldier behind him offers his flask but he refused to take it.

"What's your story Hect'? Heard you fell off a bridge."

Hector lowered his head at the question, one of the last things he wanted to talk about was what happened. Even if it was a week ago it still felt like it happened just mere hours ago. Damien caught on and looked away slightly.