Finally Free?

The plume of smoke faded from view, allowing Cole to finally relax in his seat. The likelihood of being followed left him somewhat paranoid, among other things, but he decided the destruction left in their wake would be more than enough to keep the mercenaries busy.

After being trapped for such a long time, he had forgotten the enjoyment of something as simple as riding in a Humvee. It felt as if an entire lifetime had passed, and he had awoken with a fresh body to live anew. Though he tried to remain stern, he couldn't hold back a smile.

Now that he was out the thoughts of seeing old friends filled his mind. He could tell the same stories of how he resisted interrogation and infuriated anthros as he laughed all the while. The thought of seeing his little brother's reaction to him still alive made him chuckle as he could rub it in that he escaped without him coming to the rescue and that he was ready to cash in on favors.

Hector on the other hand would probably be furious. He figured the old brood would probably give him a nice right hook to the face before yelling his guts out at him for disobeying orders and for risking his life as recklessly as he did. Nonetheless he would eventually come around and forgive him as he usually does for most people.

Cole laid his head back against the headrest, feeling irritation biting at him again. He'd almost forgotten about his new appendages in his melancholy, how uncomfortable they had been underneath the jacket's hood.

Flipping it back onto his shoulders, Cole relieved himself of the uncomfortable pressure that held his ears down. They sprung up instantly, enjoying the cool air unavailable beneath the hood. It disturbed him knowing it wasn't normal to have two sets of ears, but the thought was drowned out by his freedom.

He briefly looked over himself. He had never taken the time to process how unrecognizable his body had become from that of what he remembered. He stretched out his paws for feet and took the time to feel out the new muscles in place. It would take plenty of time to learn to balance himself again. It made him feel childish.

Not to mention he'd have to explain to everyone that he was now a product of Blackburn's madness. The idea made him tremble, showing up with an extra set of ears, a fur covered arm, and inverted legs he clearly didn't have before. But that was a problem for later, he had more pressing issues at the moment. Like trying to figure out how to convince the two infront of him to either let him go or to take him to human territory.

"You good?" The dark wolf asked their friend, earning Cole's attention.

"Yeah, you?" It replied, grabbing a backpack from the floor in front of her.

"Fine for now."

The two were on edge. Cole could hear the wavering in their voices easily with his new hearing. Their uncertainty told him something was off, however he couldn't just insert himself into their conversation, especially since he remembered their little threat before letting him out.

He feared angering either of them would earn himself a bullet just as they had said, the spitting image of the officer reminisced as a reminder. Keeping his head low he continued to listen to them.

"How's the skull?"

"Um... I'm driving." The dark wolf replied.

"And?"

"Are you dense? That means look for yourself." The dark one growled as she slowed down to a stop at an intersection.

Cole raised his head slightly and avoided eye contact. The wolf turned to face him and saw his head peeking out next to the small supply of boxes in the back.

"Look at me." She ordered from the front.

Cole did as instructed and glared at the wolf. Freeing him didn't mean that they were on good terms. The wolf turned her body back around and faced forward. "At least he's quiet."