Silhouette

"Two cannons before the round even started? What happened?" Lyra turned to Cassandra. She shrugged.

"Little dumb fuckers must have either killed themselves, or each other." One of Cassandra's friends commented, taking another drink of beer.

"Won't they put more in to keep the challenge consistent?" Lyra questioned.

"No... Now that the war is over, any no-fur we have is all we got. No more P.O.W.'s to collect meaning we're going to eventually run out."

Lyra leaned back in her chair as she rolled her eyes, she was disappointed but it came to no surprise that a lower species would rather skip a good fight just to meet death sooner.

In spite of her being a good soldier, Lyra never really had an enjoyment for combat. The one thing she believed was that death in combat was the more respectable way to go than taking the 'easy way' out.

"Pathetic animals..." She mumbled to herself.

"Operator deployment in thirty seconds." The automated voice informed.

Knowing it was nothing more than a sick game, Lyra wanted to leave. The only reason she didn't was Cassandra. She didn't know of a way to disappear that wouldn't make her feel bad about being invited along.

"Guess this will be a short one." Cassandra mumbled before offering a water bottle to Lyra. She snatched it the moment she saw it.

"Thanks, Sis."

Cassandra nodded with a small smirk as the round starting alarm went off for another fireteam to enter the arena. This team had a wolf's skull insignia along with white colored armor.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, Fireteam Artemis!" The announcer spoke trying to get the crowd going from the more recent uneventful deaths.

This team was divided differently as everyone surrounded the building from different sides, two repelled onto the north and south side of the structure as the other three found other entrances on the west and east sides.

The big screen showed the five faces of the team along with the humans. Two faces were crossed out, one guy looked big enough to probably pass for a short anthro while the other seemed average height.

"Hey, looks like they got a new guy in." Cassandra's buddy called out pointing to the screen.

Lyra didn't notice at first but one out of the five photos was blank. Just showing a blank gray canvas with no details about the person.

"Must have just gotten them recently then." Cassandra commented.

"Where did they get 'em from? War's been over for over a month now."

She shrugged, turning her attention back to the on going round. Lyra soon abandoned the question, returning her attention as well. By now all five members of the team had entered the building and begun to clear room after room. The Jumbotron swapped to live footage from the team's helmet cams allowing the crowd to watch them perform.

However one of the cameras was completely blacked out. Speculation and concern grew amongst the crowd before the announcer explained.

"It looks like we have some technical difficulties showing on Artemis' cameras... Sorry about that  everyone."

But what nobody saw was that the announcer put a hand to his neck and seemed to be talking to himself. Shortly after, multiple guards arrived from behind the crowds and began escorting out the civilian section of the training grounds.

"It's not technical difficulties is it." Lyra stated.

"Nope..." Cassandra answered leaning forward anticipating something else to happen.