Pleasant Conversations

Cassandra struggled to fall asleep on the unbearably uncomfortable mat her sister had rolled for her. Her mind was simply stuck. Replaying the horrid sounds of bones cracking and flesh rending, filled with agonizing screams.

The transition was jarring. One moment she had a simple job. Keep watch over their small excuse of a refuge while the others slept. The very next her paws are covered in blood that doesn't belong to her. Not that the feeling of blood was different as she's experienced it well enough, but the situation was bizarre by all standards.

Dust from the aged building nearly choked her as she adjusted herself. No matter what she did, she wouldn't be comfortable. Not with the feeling of vomit constantly crawling up her throat, only for her to force it back down. It was sickening. She repeatedly asked herself what monster they had brought with them.

With new threats hovering overhead, on top of the human they brought, Cassandra clutched her radio tightly like a comforting stuffed bear. She was anxious for the slightest reason to get out. To grab her sister and go. Their father could send anyone or anything after them, and all they had was an unpredictable monstrosity and a few bullets. Cassandra sat up sharply, relenting on the idea of sleep. Forcing her unusually heavy limbs up, she trudged towards the door, grabbing two rations out of her bag before she left.

The door into their shared room felt taller than usual. Intimidating almost, as it loomed over her. Strange, considering there was hardly an inch between the top of the frame and her head. It irritated her ears.

With a shake of her head she shrugged it off and pushed the door open. Peeking around the door, Cassandra found Lyra propped up beside the trembling form, stubbornly refusing to leave its side. Offering her only means of comfort and reassurance with her simple presence.

Lyra's gaze snapped to Cassandra as she took a single step into the room. Her paw had moved to her waist, near her holster. It dropped to the floor as her sister waved a ration towards her. The faint musty scent was heavenly to her poor nose, having been assaulted with the thick smell of copper for hours. She nodded her sister to the spot beside her.

"I thought you were out cold." She whispered, tearing the ration open and immediately placing it near the huddled human beside her.

Cassandra was puzzled as to why she did this but presumed she intended for the human to eat it whenever it decided to wake.

"Nope."

Lyra glared at Cassandra, putting a finger to her mouth signaling for silence. Cassandra shrugged, shaking her head in confusion.

"Figured you'd be hungry, you haven't eaten since this morning."

"After everything that just happened? Not a chance." Lyra carefully climbed to her feet, mindful of any creaky floorboards. Her sister watched curiously before she was signaled to follow. "Let's go downstairs. He needs to catch some shuteye."

"Yeah, so what? We do too, don't we? It's got a pulse, sides. We've got bigger fish to fry."

Lyra held back a comment as she ushered her sister out of the room, closing it behind them. Of course, Cassandra was already stomping down the staircase without a care. She waited for her at the bottom, standing across a table digging into her ration. Her chewing stopped as she looked up.

"So?" She mumbled through a mouthful of cracker. "What's next?"

"I- Cass, I don't know. Really, this is way off course."

"Off course? You and I knew this was going to be fucked from the start, and your telling me you didn't plan for what to do next after we nabbed whatever that is upstairs." She exclaimed, pointing her finger above.