Deals and Drinks

It had been a few weeks since Hector last met with Damian, his concern grew by the days as he expected something to happen, whether that be a message from Damian informing him that they cracked the drive or something from Curtis telling him that the ship would be waiting for him on some random nearby dock. But his patience was diminishing quickly as the days dragged on.

"Damian told me that his mate's ship would be ready in a few weeks." He said as he looked down the street to watch a bus pass.

The streets of the city had degraded practically overnight. Cars and trucks seemed to always be locked in a dead stop at checkpoints, and people were always complaining or yelling at one another for trying to set up tents and camps along the already crowded streets in an effort to make it to the next day.

The scary part about it is that it is like this everywhere. Every state in the U.S. or sovereign states down south would be left with hundreds of thousands of people on the streets just trying to get by with what they have.

Hector pulled out the phone Damian had given to him and lit up the screen to see there were no new texts or messages of any kind. Just the time.

Hector scoffed as he slid the phone back into his pocket before pulling out a small box of cigarettes. Placing one between his lips he pocketed the box then grabbed his lighter from inside his coat.

The smell of cigarette smoke filled the air around him as he took a few puffs. He felt himself relax slightly as he smoked away just trying to pass the time.

Shortly a minuscule vibration could be felt from the phone, Hector almost dropped the cigarette as he scrambled to grab the phone eager to see something.

'The ship has been delayed a few more days. Please be patient. I assure you he will have it ready for you.' From Damian.

"That's the third damn delay." Hector said in complete disbelief. He was promised the ship almost a week ago and it's been nothing but delays and hold ups. When was this man Curtis going to deliver on Damian's word?

He slid the device back into his pocket and continued to smoke away at his cigarette. He felt a presence from behind.

"You doin' good?" Noah asked as he stood at Hector's side.

He was carrying a small grocery sack while wearing blue jeans and a brown jacket. Hector preferred to always keep his uniform on.

"For the most part I am, you?

"Better..." He answered as he reached down into the sack pulling out an orange. "Last one, guess I got lucky."

"Hurry and eat it before someone sees it and gets greedy." Hector warned with a chuckle, tossing his cigarette to the ground before snuffing it out with his boot.

Noah smirked as well as he peeled away at the orange, removing a chunk to offer it to Hector, who popped it into his mouth.

"Did they take the payment?" Hector asked while enjoying the bittersweet fruit.

"Our mob slash cartel friend asked for more but I managed to convince him to lower the price." Noah responded annoyed.

"Don't get frustrated with'em, you and I both know we're on our own, plus they'll keep quiet to avoid the trouble."

"I know but it's ridiculous."

"We'll make do with what we can get our hands on without raising eyebrows, understood?"

"Got it, Hec." Noah answered.

With their business concluded at the market district of the city the pair began to walk up the street back towards the military compound to the north.