Chapter Sixteen

"Y/n, I have feelings for you."

Those words replayed in your mind over and over again. You were standing in complete shock, not expecting it at all. Well, now that you thought about it a little more, you guessed it was a little obvious, but you still didn't notice back then.

Sadly, you couldn't accept Kazuha's confession, because recently, you gained feelings for Heizou. Who knows, maybe if Heizou never would've showed up in your life, you would've dated Kazuha.

"Kazuha, I'm really really sorry, but I have feelings for someone else." you started. You noticed that he was let down right away when you said that. You saw him trying to say something, but cut him off before the boy could start.

"I completely understand if you do not want to see, or talk to me again after this, but I just can't control who I'll fall in love with. Kazuha, we've been friends for a very long time and I treasure you a TON, but I just can't see you in this way. I'm very sorry." you stated apologizing, hoping that your friendship with him won't be ruined.

Your friend took a deep breath and looked at the ground. "To be honest, I knew you'd reject me, because I'm aware that you have feelings for someone else. And I also know, that it's Heizou. I just... I just wanted to get this off of my chest, because I've been keeping it a secret for a long time now. I still had some hope, that you'd accept, but I gave it a 5% chance. I do not wish to cut ties with you and you don't have to pretend like I never confessed to you either. Just wanted to let you know." he summarized everything.

"Well, uh... This is awkward. Also, it's very kind of you to... well, not get rid of me after this. Umm..." this is all you could say, you went silent, now knowing how to continue. "Alright, now that this is over, let's go back and look around the festival a little more, shall we?" Kazuha asked, reaching his arm out to you, inviting you to come. "Sure! And, oh! Actually..." you suddenly remembered something.

"What is it, y/n?" he questioned, confused. "There is someone here, that you would absolutely like to meet. And they would like to meet up with you as well." you smiled at him.  A "Huh?" was the only answer you've got, before you started heading off to a certain direction, signaling, that he should follow you.

• • •

While you were leading him towards the destination, he kept on bringing up interesting themes for the two of you to talk about. You had no clue how he acted like he didn't just get rejected, you still felt awkward.

But after a while, seeing him being his original self, so calm and fun to be around, you decided that it's probably for the better if you don't stress too much because of it.

Soon enough, you spotted the person who wanted to talk to Kazuha and you. As the two of you got closer, your friend stopped in his tracks and just stood there, not believing he's seeing his old friend, Tomo.

"Tomo...?" Kazuha asked, almost completely frozen. "Long time no see, Kazu!" The taller boy crossed his arms, showing a big smile on his face.

The white haired male slowly took a few more steps forward to get closer to him. "Why didn't you contact me? I knew you were going to leave, but you didn't say that you'd also abandon me!" He exclaimed in a disappointed tone.

"Funny story actually... I wanted to text you as long as I settled in but... while I was checking the sea out here, I accidentally dropped my phone in the water and as it turns out, my old phone was not waterproof in the slightest bit. So in conclusion I lost all my contacts and stuff... So uh, they're not in my current mobile." Tomo confessed, scratching the back of his head out of embarrassment.

Kazuha didn't move a single bit, he was standing in disbelief. "Well, since you guys are both here, you could exchange contacts again!" you claimed happily.

"Well, I already have Tomo's number. I'm guessing he's the only one who needs mine." The shorter one looked at you. "No, you do need mine. I changed phones and for some reason my number also changed entirely, so hold on...."

• • •

This day was awesome, ...except for one part. But you managed to get through it and as it seemed your friend got through it was well pretty quickly. You could still see some sadness in his eyes, but it was barely noticeable.

On your way back, everyone was sharing their experiences from the festival. You all collectively agreed, that it was super fun and that if you'd have the chance to, you'd come again.

Everything was just fine, until Childe spoke up. "So... I saw our little y/n and Kazuha take a few strolls around here together. Am I sensing something?" He showed a smug face to the two of you.

"No, not rea-..." you tried to finish your sentence, but the white haired male cut you off saying: "You are. I confessed to y/n."

Everyone stopped in their tracks and faced the two of you. First of all, you couldn't believe that he would just share it like that so easily. Second of all, great, now everyone knows.

All of them had a surprised look on their faces and they all just stood there, until Kaeya decided to speak up. "Well, to be fair, it wasn't completely unexpected. I have to admit it still caught me off guard..."

"Wait so... does that mean the two of you are dating now?" Yoimiya asked with her eyes sparkling, waiting for an answer. As soon as she asked that, you could see everyone's expression lighten up, except for Heizou.

It looked like... he was afraid to hear the answer. He also had curiousness written all over him, but he was rather sad than happy. At the time, you couldn't decide if it was because he had something on his mind, or if because...

"We are not dating. Sadly, I couldn't accept his feelings." you claimed awkwardly, leaving the you already liking someone part out on purpose.

After you have a response, it seemed like your friends were disappointed now. "But why, y/n? Kazuha is such a good guy and you guys have known each other for so long now and are so close! I don't understand what's stopping you." Venti stepped forward, not understanding your actions.

"It's... I can't help it! You have to understand, that I am just simply unable to catch feelings for him. We talked this over, the two of us and things are fine now. Please stop trying to dig deep into what happened." you exclaimed sadly, but you were also irritated by how everyone tried to get every ounce of information out of you.

As you felt uncomfortable and fed up with talking about this, you started walking again, which was an obvious signal to let this theme go, as if your reaction wasn't already enough.