Chapter 16

Kyle worked diligently in the office, pretending he wasn't repeatedly checking for a response, about Mia. He couldn't focus on the work at hand, wiping his sweaty palms on his pants he grabbed his cup pretending to need more coffee. Hopefully, he would run into his mentor, and then he could casually ask if there had been any word. Kyle would pretend to be concerned for the Alpha, he planned to even act slightly put out that this sudden change of work detail was a hassle. He was always concerned someone would get suspicious if he acted too curious.

He walked to the breakroom slowly, the law office housed in the same office building as the pack's general practitioner, the financial advisors, and the pack's administration sector. They handled pack issues and even human issues. It was one of the ways the pack supported itself. Those who did work for outsiders paid a portion of the profits to the pack. Most pack members had duel jobs. Jobs that served both pack members and humans. It was easy for werewolves to serve humans because most humans were unaware of the existence of werewolves. A select few in the topmost levels of the government were aware of their kind, most just knew the codes that they used for tax purposes. The codes that made them exempt from certain laws, like the Native Americans had their own government of sorts and handled their own.

***********************************************************************************************

Cass had people that would file the response on his behalf. However, he chose to file this one personally. He had people who would have stayed late, but he came late. He had men who would stand by his side, yet he came alone. This was his duty and his alone.

He'd learned all the ins and outs of pack paperwork when he had been training to be an alpha. His father's rule theory was only when Cass could fully understand the needs and demands of those that worked for him. It worked, Cass had more than a fundamental understanding of the forms needed. Sitting in front of the computer screen, Cass pulled up the 1232-C, Request Refusal. When his curser sat flashing in the reason box, he hesitated to declare her his mate before she had even accepted him. He had yet to present her to their pack.

Theirs.

His wolf purred at the thought. Of them ruling together, leading their pack, raising their young. His wolf was still bristling at the revelations from Mia earlier, he couldn't fathom a young, orphaned pup being isolated and ignored.

Finally, almost forcefully Cass typed the words staring at them on the screen. Shocked by how pleasingly the basic black letters felt when he read them. His eyes scanned the minimal phrase he had typed knowing the two simple words would deliver the message intended. She's mine stared back at him from the screen, and before he could think twice he clicked the submit button and it was done. Cass opened another file, he needed to log his statement. He knew elsewhere in their own offices or houses, others in his pack were completing their statements as well. Cass was ready to fight the claim she'd been kidnapped. He was ready to accuse them and hold those fuckers accountable for failing her.

Mia wondered aimlessly around the house. Her anxiety made her fidgety. She'd showered and changed once the males left. Eager for something to ease her nerves. The simple mundane routines and hot water only partially relaxed her body. Her mind was still a jumbled mess of thoughts. She'd rummaged through the clothes in the room she had slept in it felt weird using stuff that wasn't her own, but she surely couldn't walk around naked. Hastily she grabbed a pair of black sweats that had a matching grey tank top. The pajamas looked comfortable. Once dressed, Mia stared at herself in the mirror. The thin top clung to her breasts, her nipples prominent through the fabric. Mia blushed at the thought of Cass seeing her like this, and instinctively grabbed a bra when she considered he might not return home alone. She still didn't want to be a mate or a Luna for that matter, but she felt better knowing Cass wasn't going to hand her over. She knew she didn't need to wait for him, but she wanted to. After explaining to her how the process worked, they discussed a variety of avenues and outcomes before the men dispersed. She understood why Cass left to take care of this, she just didn't understand why she missed his presence.