Chapter 7

Chapter 7

I made a mistake. It's a little too late to think that now, almost forty-eight hours later but that's the situation I am in. That morning when I answered P'Arthit when I said yes, I wasn't thinking. I mean can you blame me, I was just coming out of a hangover, and P'Arthit who I wanted to see and be with was there in my house after all this time. I would have said yes to anything he said. I wouldn't have thought about it and now I am thinking about it.

P'Arthit is dating two people and I am person number two. I almost can't believe it. That P'Arthit who is so shy and easy to tease is doing this. It's my fault, blame me. I blame myself but... this situation just isn't right.

At the moment P'Arthit and I were at a restaurant eating a lovely dinner. It's a date. The evening is cool, the lights are warm and the colors are gentle. It's more than a little romantic too since I was the one who chose to make this our first date but...

"The food here is so nice." My eyes can't help but lock with Mimi's each and every time and she always smiles at me, touches me sometimes as if unintentionally and I realized yes, I made a mistake.

It wasn't that I didn't think P'Arthit was doing this to torture me. I thought as much and I, like the overconfident fool that I am, also thought I could handle it but yes, this was a mistake. I can't handle it at all.

"What's wrong, Kongpob," P'Arthit who is sitting next to Mimi being hugged and snuggled up to asked me. They make a decent sight and the people around us didn't seem to think anything was off here. If they only knew.

I took my eyes off Mimi and forced a smile with a head shake. Initially, I had been able to say a few words but I am now only able to manage a pained smile and a deep wish for the evening to be over. What should have been a date with two people randomly became a date for three. What more can I wish for but for it to end?

Thankfully it looks like it was almost done. The waiter came over to drop the bill. I reached for it and was stopped by P'Arthit who has placed his hand over mine.

"I've got it," he said.

"No, I invited you, I should pay."

"It's fine, I don't mind."

"Neither do I."

We stared at each other. P'Arthit's stare is so unwavering. I can't believe that he is here with me, talking with me when just two days ago he didn't even want to see my face and said he hates me.

"Why don't you split it?" Mimi interrupted the moment causing me to twitch. It wasn't that I had forgotten her but it still shocked me to hear her voice.

"That sounds good to me," P'Arthit removed his hand and took out his card. As for myself, I just needed this evening to be over so I can strengthen my resolve again. I feel it unraveling like a weave made with rotten leaves.

We finished paying and went outside. We both came on different rides due to the fact that... well, Mimi. That's the only reason. I can't share a ride with them together, flirting in front of me and being the couple that P'Arthit and I never were. Not just yet. I suppose Mimi is number one to P'Arthit in his priority list and I am just... right I am not even on the list.

Ah, I sighed. I want to go home and sleep this night away.

"What should we do next? Since we just ate think we could go for a walk and talk about this and that. I haven't heard much about how you two met." Mimi was making suggestions like she had done all evening.

"Actually, I think I'll retire for the night. I have a meeting tomorrow."

"Meeting? With who?" P'Arthit is standing in front of me now as if blocking my way. He searched my gaze and said, "You and I both know you have no meeting. You don't need to work for the rest of your life if you don't want to and it's even a Sunday."