The Interference

Violet awoke to hear the loud purring of her cat behind her. She stretched and yawned as she turned over, finding him perched on her exhausted and confused-looking roommate.

"Oh... hey." The previous night's events flooded back as a blush made its way across her face. She hadn't expected the night to go like it did- though she definitely couldn't say she hadn't thought about it beforehand.

"Hey-" He answered softly, though somehow his voice had gotten even deeper, and rougher overnight. She wondered if he had slept at all. "Does um- this mean he likes me?" He chuckled hoarsely. She looked back down at her cat, lying on the man's chest and staring at him as the purring continued.

"How long has he been like that?" She chuckled softly as curiosity mixed with concern filled her mind.

"I don't even know- probably like six or so hours... I- I didn't wanna move him, he looked comfortable- you both did." He chuckled again. She looked down and realized she'd been lying on his arm.

"Shit- sorry..." She laughed lightly, feeling the heat creep back up in her cheeks as her brain started to wake up. She sat up slightly- allowing him to pull his arm back. As if on cue the cat perked up and gently jumped off him and headed out of the room.

"Damn- see? Shouldn't've moved."

"He's fine." She scoffed lightly. "You feel alright?" She casually searched his face for an answer, peering in to see why her cat was so insistent on 'healing' him with the forceful purring on his chest all night.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine- sore from not moving but I'm good." He offered a tired smile. She tried to hide her displeased feelings for his answer.

"Did you get any sleep?"

"Eh- not much." He stretched and winced. "The cat was kind of having a stare down with me." She mustered up a soft chuckle.

"Yeah he really only does that to me when I have a bad day- but the longest he stayed was like two hours." Which made her further question what was up with her new roommate.

"Huh." Jack merely chuckled.

"You should really get some sleep." She offered- concern visible on her face.

"Yeah- I know." He scoffed lightheartedly. "You feel alright? Need that Advil?"

"Nah. Slept like a baby."

"Yeah, you were out pretty quick." He laughed lightly- knowing he should get up but not wanting to leave just yet as he sat up. "Um- I uh- have some um, errands I have to get done today though... I should uh- probably get going on that."

"Oh, okay." She sat up more as he spoke- wondering if he would bring up last night's events at all. "Need any help? It's the least I could do for literally keeping you up all night." Her brain was still groggy with sleep, and she also felt the pit of anxiety well up in her stomach at the events of last night, at a loss of what to say or how to feel about it. Her only regrets were only fueled by what felt like an emotional disconnect between them.

"Uh- no, um- that's alright." Her sentiment was almost funny to him. "And besides I'm up all night every night anyways." He stood and stretched his arm, thankful that the pain wouldn't last much longer but feeling a strange pit in his stomach. "Hey um- thanks for uh- hanging out with me last night. It was uh- really fun... I never really have been able to talk to anyone that easily." He paused as his eyes wandered the room. "I'm really glad I asked you to move in..." There was something in his smile as he turned back to her that she couldn't place.

"I-I'm glad you did too." While her brain was still fixated on the physicality of last night, there was still that sense of safety, despite his now erratic behavior, she'd felt when he first talked to her, even if it had been his job. She didn't want to ruin it first thing in the morning. "I uh, I hate to do this, but would you mind picking up some magic erasers while you're out? Movers weren't very careful and scuffed the walls."

"I- wh- what?"

"Oh, well, you said you had errands to run, and I have work, so I thought I'd ask if you could pick some up while you're out."

But I wasn't supposed to come back... He sighed and bit the inside of his cheek. Half of him was floored that he had another excuse- a little more time, but the other darker half was now screaming.

"I- Yeah... I can..." It's just one more day... less than 24 hours- that's doable. His body seemed to ache more and more as he processed. "Um- anything else?" The exhaustion only grew in his expression.

"I don't think so..." Though his dismal expression caused a stir of concern. "But maybe you should get some melatonin for yourself." She teased lightly.

"Huh- yeah, maybe..." maybe a few bottles full... "I- I guess I'll be back soon..." He gave a tired smile, making his way to his room to change before heading out.

---

He tried to keep his mind clear as he scoffed, walking out of the nearest Target with her fucking Magic Erasers. Why was he letting this happen? Why had he even spoken to her in the first place? He was supposed to be making a date with the Pacific Ocean yesterday at noon, yet here he was, still breathing and running errands for an attractive woman he made out with once. Pussy can't cure depression you fucking incel. If he was being honest though, he didn't just want in her pants... There was something- different about her. Shut the fuck up, shut the fuck up shut- He ignored the thoughts as he continued walking over toward the still deserted beach- covered in washed-up algae from the rain, and stopped at the water's edge. Despite how nervous she made him, he hadn't ever been so comfortable around someone- and though part of it could be the apathy, he trusted her far more than he'd trusted nearly everyone. He had no reason or logic for it- hell he barely knew anything about her aside from the taste of the drinks he had made lingering on her lips and that she wrote and traveled a lot. He didn't even know her cat's name that held him hostage all night- as if reading his mind.

He looked out at the waters, calm now as the rain of the last few days lifted.

"Is this some kind of joke to you?" He muttered quietly with a scoff. He'd fought with the universe his whole life- always battling uphill and now- when he decides to follow the riptide, it changed its current to fight him again. "I don't know what you fucking want." He stared out at the water-no answers to be given.

---

Violet didn't expect him back from running errands within the hour, wordlessly handing her only a bag of magic erasers before heading back to his room where he collapsed on the bed- the new stupid, fucking bottle of melatonin mocking him from the nightstand.