The Arachnid Eyes

When Violet came home, the sun was nearly peeking up over the Hollywood hills as she exited the uber, heaving in her hefty prize from being one of the company's lotto winners, which Lyson hadn't let her hear the end of. She leaned the prize against the wall by the door as she shut it, exhausted and ready to sleep for the next three days, though Jack's still position sitting awkwardly on the living room floor stopped her in her tracks.

"Jack?"

"Shhh!" He belligerently scolded with a finger to his lips. "Shhhh, I've finally got him down!" Down, like a baby? "It's ok, just BE quiet" He gestured obnoxiously for her to squat next to him as she tiptoed over, only to see one of Nugget's plush toys staring at them. "I showed him what's what." Not having any idea what her roommate was on, all she could do was try to hold in her laughter as she nodded as seriously as she could. Damn, everyone was getting fucked up tonight.

"Good for you." It would have normally startled Violet to have the cat careened up next to her, eager for affection.

"What the FuCk is tHaT?" Jack quickly skirted away at the sight of Nugget, his dark eyes widening wildly. This time, Violet couldn't hold in her laughter as she sat down next to Jack.

"He's here to help you," she grabbed the cat and gently guided him back over to them. What had Jack taken tonight? Hadn't he been in a meeting at the bar earlier? Maybe he had gone partying with coworkers afterward. She shrugged it off for the moment, as Nugget made himself comfortable.

"No. No-no-no. He's no good I can see the hate in his fuckin arachnid eyes when he looks at me, that's all he ever does... he wants to expose me..." Jack's eyes were wide with paranoia and darting around the cat.

"He be-be," Nugget nuzzled into her hand for more attention, unsure of what to make of the other human's whole situation. Jack watched her interact with the "cat", before settling down once again, taking in some deep breaths and shutting his eyes, an attempt to wish away the hallucinogens. "Hey, you good?" Still not sure what he'd taken, or why, Violet held his face as gently as she could so as not to spook him. Jack had shaken his head with furrowed brows and eyes still shut tightly but relaxed a bit as she placed her hands on his hot flushed cheeks. He opened his eyes once again only to meet hers directly in front of him. Violet watched as his pupils seemed to dilate for another reason entirely now. He made careful but shaky movements toward her and pressed his forehead on hers, closing his eyes again.

The strangely familiar display of affection took her slightly aback, but it wasn't unwelcome. She could feel his racing heartbeat and rapid breath gently blowing against her face, the smell of oranges and whiskey hanging in the air around him.

"You're okay, friend." She cooed softly at the panicked man nearly in her lap and she moved a few stray curly locks out of his face. He hummed lowly in response, his breath evening out a bit and a small smile curling onto his lips. He opened his eyes again, searching hers for answers she didn't know how to give. Neither of them could tell who moved first, but suddenly their lips collided, the heat from the night getting to them both. Violet fell into it easily, relishing in the feelings of their now completed circuit. Her hands slipped from his face to his neck, slanting her head to deepen the kiss, desperate for the taste of him again. Jack's hand found its way to her face and moved to the back of her head, tangling her hair into his fingers, the feelings brought on by the kiss meshing perfectly now with his impaired state of mind. A small, quiet, but breathy groan escaped him.

The slight tug of Jack's fingers in her hair sent shivers down her spine. With a soft sigh, she parted her lips to allow Jack's tongue to coax out another, much louder, sigh. Everything in her brain screamed at her to stop, stop, this wouldn't end well. But fuck, there was just something about him that always left her craving him; something so warm and safe.