The Quickest High

After a few long minutes of silence, he sighed. "Really Vi, you're fucking better off- I mayyy be a bit biased but when I saw how upset you were that she stopped by unexpectedly, it was pretty clear you weren't happy." He really did try to take his own bias out of it, he could see that a small part of her was hurt by the way the morning had panned out. "It sucks, and I'm sorry."

"I-I just-," she wasn't sure how to explain it without bringing up their own situation and she felt herself falling into another bout of avoidance. "I wish she'd at least texted me instead of just showing up..." She sighed as they slid into the car. "I-I know she's pretty shitty, but..." But sometimes she was really fun. And when she wasn't petty and competitive, could be really smart and empathetic. Violet wasn't sure where all of that had gone. "I mean, aren't you upset about Sarah?" If he'd planned a date for them without her knowledge, did that mean he was moving on too? Was he really putting in more effort? If so, even if he'd chosen just as shitty as she had, he at least deserved better than Sarah literally leaving to shamelessly fuck someone else in the building. But what did that say about him putting more effort into Sarah rather than you?

"That's fair, but I don't know. I think I've just been traumatized into seeing when someone loses feelings. I could be wrong but uh, I've seen that look many a time." He sighed as he started the car. "And no, I uh- I wasn't attached to Sarah really at all, actually I'm a little relieved to be off the hook. We haven't been talking long- it's shitty but she was more of a distraction than anything."

"Maybe we're the assholes." What did it say about them both for using unassuming people as distractions?

"Maybe, I mean, I was pretty clear with her about what was happening. But- I don't know. We've been fucked over a lot- nothing we can really do about it now but try to be better I guess?" He chuckled sheepishly as he pulled a shooter from his cup holder. "Though, I haven't been known to be a fast learner." He joked as he shook the bottle, but set it back into the center console.

"Yeah, I guess that's not always linear is it? Maybe I need a different kind of education. Writing only does so much for being emotionally stunted."

"Agreed." He huffed out before he realized what he'd said.

"I didn't know you wrote." He hadn't talked about it when they'd met and she'd babbled about all her unfinished projects.

"Uh, yeah... sometimes I guess." He bit down on his lip and tried to take some of the criticisms he'd been screaming at himself earlier to heart. "I write uh- I write songs sometimes... it's fun but it doesn't help as much as I assumed it would."

"That's really cool. Felt that though, doesn't always change the situation."

"Yeah, just a shitty temporary band-aid."

"Yeah, doesn't always help when your guts are hanging out." There was a brief pause. "I'm sorry you got dragged into that. Millie doesn't really understand the concept of no."

"Yikes, should I turn around and commit a crime...? Cause I may be acting calm and unbothered but I could work through some things with her..."

"What? No, no-I meant...never mind." There was another pause. "Are you actually upset about it? Cuz regardless of how you feel, that was still a dick move."

"With Sarah? No, really, like I said- wasn't really my first pick-," he laughed lightly, "-why? Are you?"

"I mean, a little? I just think it's bullshit. They're the ones who wanted the dates so bad, like- they could've at least acted like they wanted us there. Don't sit there and blatantly flirt with the person who isn't your date." She took in a deep sigh but never seemed to release it. "Whatever. It's not like it was a surprise from Millie, I just...don't like wasting time." This always happened, give someone the briefest benefit of the doubt and they somehow found a way to turn it back around on her. She should've known by now. It wasn't dissimilar to how things had ended with Millie just a couple of years ago. Despite the pair being more friendly in their relationship rather than committed, it was still a bruise to her ego when Violet walked in on Millie with another couple. Millie's only argument had been, it's not like we're serious. And while she hadn't been wrong, the blatant disregard for Violet's emotions had only forced her to build her walls even higher.