broken memories

A winter storm isn't like many others you'll experience. It's cold, damp and full of brutality from the world. There is a lack of beauty in these types of disasters. They hold the tears of the sky, the cries from the clouds and the flashes of broken memories.

There comes an end to the storm. It'll pass over, and the world will return to how it was before the chaos. And those unaffected by the destruction of the disaster walk through the streets like nothing ever happened. Though, some were affected.

The storm wrecks things. It tears them apart, floods their cavities and swallows them into the depth of deep blue hues. Some hold out their hands to those who struggle to swim. Holding them close while kicking their feet when they can't. Some look down at those who sink and laugh. Pointing judgemental and misunderstood fingers, recording the act of their phones and snickering at those around them.

Those are who the universe favours.

The ones that laugh at the weak and turn their heads away from the ones who need help. Those who flipped off sight for sore eyes and glazed over their own glorious lives. These are the ones the universe serves with respect and guaranteed happiness - the people who don't care.

Giyuu found this out early in life.

Middle school treat him like a minority in the world. It sent him the ocean's tides, a harmful current hidden underneath. So when Giyuu dipped his toe in the water, hoping for a peaceful swim. He was dragged underneath the blue by his ankles. He spent his childhood kicking his feet to stay afloat. With the inability to swim, things became hard quickly.

But, a hand stretched out to him. A warm presence. A scent of lavender and the words of a writer. He stormed the tides when Giyuu couldn't, kicking his feet to hold onto Giyuu's drowning body and swam to the surface without leaving him. He fought the ocean Giyuu was supposed to and held Giyuu's hand the entire time.

The boy who became his purple - a person you meet with and instantly click. He came into Giyuu's life with no warning, dragging lavenders behind him and a smile brighter than the moon that desperately wanted him to stay. He became the person Giyuu adored the most. The most beautiful ray of light in a storm with no end.

Giyuu threw himself into the unforgiving hands of the universe, surrendering the waves and allowing the current to take him. But Sanemi came. He came with no intention of helping, yet was still the first to jump in front of the crashing waters and drag Giyuu to shore.

He saved Giyuu from himself, swimming the metres he couldn't and kissing the oxygen back into his lungs. A pair of lilac eyes. A beautiful and toothy smile and a hug warm enough for it to feel like home. Giyuu is losing the battle, but with help from Sanemi, he's winning the war.

The rain continues to pour, endless roars shake the sky, and time ticks deep into the night. A bed of mud where Giyuu lies, and Sanemi holds him close. The weather isn't disturbing their time. It's adding to it. Washing away the tears, cleaning the murky water from their clothes and smoothing out their hair. It's looking after them as they find their grip on life. Making sure nothing is disturbing them.

The universe laughs at those who fall. A storm recognises the struggles of fear and helps to take them away. It understands the hate you may feel toward yourself and the tears you may cry. A storm is a disaster that understands. The universe is a pretty face with no kindness in its heart.

Sanemi continues to move Giyuu's hair from his face, returning a few flyaways to the messy ponytail. Leaning his head over Giyuu's, blocking the rain from his face so he can open his eyes - a sad smile on his lips as he continues to care for Giyuu until he's ready to move, not wanting to rush Giyuu into anything. But, Giyuu doesn't like the idea of them sharing their moments in the cold. So, he smiles. "Are we staying here all night?" He mumbles, Sanemi chuckling.