delicate intimacy

Since the night the snow began to fall, Sanemi had been in a mood he didn't think was possible. At work, he'd smile and restock the shelves while whistling the familiar tune to the lullaby his mother sang to him. When he was at home alone, he'd clean with loud music playing and work on his manuscript until the early morning. The nights spent with Giyuu were pure euphoria. They'd read, sing and dance together. Giyuu was able to get Sanemi out in the snow one night for a midnight snowball fight. Sanemi hasn't been this happy for so long.

Happiness may not be permanent, but the things that bring you joy are.

They spent the past few weeks fighting their problems together. Going against the world and its pathetic pranks and blocking its attacks. Sanemi swam, and Giyuu guided. Alone, they're nothing but two boys fighting to stay alive. Together, they become a duo of power and will do whatever it takes to protect the other.

With Christmas around the corner, Sanemi and Giyuu have dedicated an entire day to preparing for the holidays. Giyuu drove home to collect a few spare decorations from his apartment. When he returned home, he found Sanemi attempting to assemble the tree and wasn't all that successful. He'd managed to put together a few pieces before getting mad and giving up. Giyuu chuckled, walking in and taking the parts from Sanemi's hand.

Giyuu learnt from the camping trip that Sanemi struggles to ask for assistance. He'd attempt to put together whatever he was working on alone, and when things failed, he'll get mad and give up. So, Giyuu takes it upon himself to ensure Sanemi knows he can ask for assistance.

He watches Sanemi struggle, ensuring his presence is known. "You okay?" He asks. Sanemi sighs, dropping pieces to the floor and falling onto the couch.

"Yup," The sarcasm is evident, and Giyuu can tell Sanemi is annoyed. But, he doesn't want to offer help. He wants to see if Sanemi has learnt to ask.

"You don't seem it,"

"Well, that's because this stupid tree won't put itself together,"

"It needs assistance,"

Giyuu's words are directed at Sanemi, his eyes holding the message as they meet Sanemi's. Sanemi sighs, dragging a hand down his face before picking up the parts from the floor. "Can you please help me?" He mumbles. He stands from the couch and walks to the rest of the tree that has yet to be assembled. Giyuu smiles, placing his phone on the coffee table beside him.

"Of course," Giyuu walks to Sanemi's side, taking the pieces from his hands and admiring them. "Are there any instructions?"

"It's a Christmas tree. I don't think they come with instructions,"

Giyuu doesn't respond. He looks at the parts in his hand for a moment longer. "Hm," He walks to the rest of the tree parts in the corner of the living room. "Oh well," He says, shrugging his shoulders. "How hard can it be?"

"Very, apparently,"

Giyuu chuckles, eyeing the different pieces. They spend the rest of the day figuring out how to put the tree together. It takes up most of their afternoon, leading Sanemi to order pizza for dinner since he couldn't be bothered to cook.

Sanemi insisted they go to Giyuu's and decorate his place, but Giyuu disagreed. He didn't want to return to his. If he decorates his apartment, he'll feel forced to stay and admire their work. Giyuu doesn't want that. Giyuu wants a Christmas a Sanemi's. He wants to avoid spending time alone in his apartment, scared that he'll fall into a dangerous headspace. So, Sanemi agreed to keep letting him stay. Calling it their home instead of his apartment.

With the two back at work, spending time together often happens in the evenings. They'd watch movies until the early hours, read or talk about their favourite books or hold each other close. Keeping each other happy seems like an easy task when all they need are their person present. It's something the two can agree on. They don't care for much else.