Chapter 15: Me, Myself and I

My mother's concert was canceled due to 'health problems'. She called Juuzou to invite us to a restaurant dinner as an 'apology'. I'm not sure how I'll be able to see her face again or even talk to her.

"Don't tell me you're reading work documents again..." Juuzou says.

"Pay attention to the road, Juuzou." I respond.

"We actually arrived. I even parked the car."

"Oh..."

We get out of the car and walk towards the restaurant. The waiter was waiting for us outside.

"Good evening and welcome. Please, follow me." The waiter bows to us.

How does he know who we are?

But then I realized the restaurant was empty...

"Why is it empty?" I whisper to Juuzou.

"Because he owns it." He whispers back.

"Who's 'he'?"

But the answer appeared right in front of my eyes. The 'he' was standing in front of me with my mother holding his arm. I didn't have to think for long. It was obvious. This is my stepfather.

Next to them stood a teenage girl. She's probably my step sister...

What a happy surprise. Seeing my mother's second family for the first time. What did my father do to deserve this? What did I do to deserve this?

My mother stares at me with the same cold stare. But as soon as she looks at Juuzou, she puts on a smile.

"Hello. Good evening." The man says in a broken English accent.

Thankfully, my ability to speak English remained intact. But honestly, I wish I couldn't speak it at this moment.

"Uh..." Juuzou looks confused as I suppose he doesn't know English.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Y/n Suzuya." I introduce myself.

Juuzou stares at me weirdly. Probably because of the last name.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Lee Si Hoon." He hands me his hand to shake.

Judging by the name, he's Korean.

"You don't want to shake hands?" He asks.

"Sorry!" I apologize and shake his hand.

My mother starts to speak a foreign language to the man. I suppose it's Korean. The man gives her a short reply.

"This our daughter, Kim Yu Jin." He introduces me to their daughter.

If his last name is 'Lee' then why is his daughter's last name 'Kim'?

Their daughter looked extremely anxious, almost as if she was scared.

My mother tells her something in Korean. It seems like she's scolding her.

"Hello... Good evening." She says in Japanese and bows to us politely.

"Good evening." Juuzou says back while doing a small bow.

"Okay, shall we go sit?" The man surprises me with speaking Japanese.

"You can speak Japanese?!" I say shocked.

"Yes, I grew up in Japan. Sorry for bothering you with my bad English, I practice it when I get the chance." He explains himself.

"Great, I thought I wouldn't be able to talk this evening." Juuzou joins the discussion.