Wait until morning | Natasha & Wanda

(y/n) and Wanda were locked up in an old, rusty plane, waiting on backup to bail them out.

A few minutes had past when (y/n) decided to confide in her new partner. After all, to build an alliance you had to establish trust in one another.

"I had someone I used to love." (y/n) said, looking away from Wanda. "Well rather someone I'll always love." she stated.

Wanda put her hand on (y/n)'s arm, urging her to keep going.

She looked at Wanda then back at the metal beneath them. "She was," she started, trying to find the right words. "She was fearless, selfless, heroic." her eyes beamed when she thought of Natasha, they always did, until reality snuck back in and reminded her that she'd never see the redhead again.

"She was passionate in everything she did," (y/n) continued to speak, Wanda paying attention to every word she spoke. "Everyone loved her-" she stopped herself, a single tear falling from her eye.

"What happened?" Wanda's sympathetic look pierced through (y/n)'s tough exterior. She found herself releasing all her tears in front of the witch, finding comfort within her.

(y/n) took a deep breath, gaining all her focus on telling the story of Natasha. "On her last mission, retrieving the soul stone to defeat Thanos,"

Wanda knew about the avengers fight with Thanos, but she never would've thought, well she didn't know what she thought if she was completely honest.

"She sacrificed herself." (y/n) said shortly, not wanting to get too deeply into it.

Wanda understood that, understood that (y/n) needed time before she could fully confide in her. They both went silent after that. It was a comfortable silence, a necessary one.

"It was almost a year ago." (y/n) huffed, shaking her head. Wanda jumped a bit at the sudden statement, the calm state she was in slowly washing away. (y/n) huffed again. "Almost a year ago." she repeated for herself.

"I'm sorry." Wanda said, her sympathetic look growing even bigger.

She could only think back to the day Vision died, how the mere thought of it made her feel like she was about to break into a million pieces. She admired (y/n)'s strength, how she could hold herself together so well when talking about Natasha.

"Sometimes I find myself forgetting that it happened," (y/n) gave a weak smile at Wanda, acknowledging her sympathy. "Right when I wake up, in the morning, that's my favorite part of the day." she took a quiet moment before carrying on. "In those few seconds I'm right back to before," she said, thinking fondly of the task. "And I smile, knowing I get to see her soon."

Wanda have never seen (y/n) lit up so bright before, she'd never seen anyone shine so strong. Within seconds, the light disappeared, and what was left was this empty, numb, darkness of nothing.

"Then it all comes back, the news, her dead body, the funeral." she spoke, numbness seeming to take over her. "I wake up and I've never been happier, then it crashes down and reality hits and I've never been worse." (y/n)'s words stung to hear, she got tears forming in her eyes but all the girl could feel was numbness. "I wait all day till I can sleep. Knowing that I'll see her soon, in the morning."

Wanda wiped her own tears away, she didn't notice them until the taste sipped into her mouth. She felt for the young avenger, wished she could do something, anything, to take her pain away.

"Thank you." Wanda said, gaining (y/n)'s attention. "For telling me, it means a lot." (y/n) nodded to the witch, her stone wall building itself back up. "I wish I could've met her. Someone you love so much," Wanda said, "she must have been pretty special." she smiled at (y/n), breathing in the fresh air, appreciating it so much more then she did before.

"She was." (y/n) answered, smiling back at Wanda. "I'm so grateful I got the chance to know her and love her for who she truly was."

She stopped abruptly, the foreign feeling of happiness washing over her like confetti. She hadn't talked about Natasha since she past, barely let herself think about The Black Widow in dread that she wouldn't be able to get back up if she did. And now she did all of those things and felt, happy.

Free.

The burden of keeping Natasha hidden lifted from her chest. Happiness. (y/n) laughed for herself, thinking about the memories she and Natasha shared.

Her tone changed slightly, initiating that she was about to break. But she was happy, at peace. Which is why she allowed herself to fall apart.

She looked up at Wanda who was still looking at her in awe. "I still see her in everything that's beautiful." (y/n) said, looking up at the sky.

She smiled as tears rushed down her face, almost giggled at times. She wiped her nose with the hem of her shirt, the tears never seeming to fade. "And I see her in you."

Wanda leaned in and wrapped her arms around the young avenger, squeezing her tightly in a hug.

"Maybe I don't have to wait till morning anymore."
(y/n) said, closing her eyes, sinking into Wanda's embrace.

'Maybe' she thought as Wanda held her tight, not letting her go anytime soon.