A dying fire | Natasha Romanoff

The whistling wind blew steady against the maple trees. Their once green leaves now on the ground - in a puddle of red, orange and yellow.

In a glade, a frail campfire was surrounded by logs of various sizes. On one of the logs, an assassin sat, her fingers massaging her temples. Her auburn hair in tow messy braids.

According to the redhead, the forest taunted her. Among the sound of the whistling wind and the creaking trees, she could hear the vailing of a child. A child which the assassin knew weren't actually present. It was her past coming out to play.

Opposite her, sat another girl, her focus on the dying fire. She was fixated with the flames, but tried nothing to add to the fuse. Her mustered sweater stained red and her glasses, defective.

The crackling of the fire eased a calm into the girl. A calm she'd do anything to hold onto.

The girl in the mustered sweater took a heavy breath. The fire now completely dead. Her calming state vanishing with it. She turned to her fingernails, distracting herself with picking at her chipped nail polish.

Finally, the assassin looked up, and studied the girl before her. She sighed, shakily, before starting up to conversation, "I didn't want this for you." she said. There was a defeat in her tone unlike ever before. It scared her, as it did the girl across.

The younger girl took a crisp breath, trying to control her emotions. "I know." she breathed out. She didn't dare to look up at the woman across from her. If she did, she knew there was no use in trying to control her emotions. "I'm sorry." her voice was sincere, but she did not regret her actions.

"No, you don't need to apologize," the assassin voiced sternly, "you did the right thing." she searched the young girl across from her, wanting nothing more than for her gaze to connect with her own.

The assassin pinched the bridge of her nose, her emotions catching up to her. "Can you look at me, please!" She pleaded, now aggravated. Her hand released the grip on her nose and found its way to her forehead. She tried running her fingers through her auburn locks, only to realize it was intertwined into two firm braids. "We need to formulate a plan."

"I don't see why I have to look at you for that." the younger of them spoke, bringing her hand up in the air to inspect her now naked fingernails. When she was satisfied with the result, she let her hand drop back into her lap, now picking out the dirt that had molded itself under her cracked nails.

The redhead narrowed her eyes, fed up with the girl's demeanor. "(y/n)!" She shouted, standing to her feet, "don't you care at all?" She marched over to the girl in the mustered sweater, her face reddening. "The other's are still out there. Wanda, Kate, Yelena!" The assassin screamed in the girl's face.

(y/n) was truly the only one that made her emotions flare up. And she was the only person the assassin dared to let her emotions fall at display for.

The redhead sat down besides the girl in the mustered sweater, discharging a long breath. "They need us (y/n). We can't just turn our backs on them." She explained, calmly this time.

In response, (y/n) was the one who flared up, "don't you think I know that?" She yelled, finally turning her gaze to the assassin next to her. "The world's fate is in our hands, and I am trying the best I can!" She cried, her chest burning with responsibility, guilt and fear. "I just-" she pursed her lips together, feeling her eyes fill up with water.

The younger directed her attention up towards the trees surrounding them. She stared up at the sky, trying to hold back her eyelids from closing. She released a shaky breath as her palms rubbed at the material on her thighs. "I- I murdered her, Nat."

When (y/n) resumed her gaze on the assassin, Natasha noticed the the girl's red, hooded eyes. The redhead placed one of her hands on top of (y/n)'s, gripping onto it. "No," she said, shaking her head, "no, (y/n), we're not going down this path." Natasha said, her own tears starting to prickle in her eyes. "You saved me. Okay. You saved me and, her death was an accident."

(y/n)'s lips trembled, preventing her from formulating any words. The tears that prickled her eyes made her vision blurry - her broken glasses not helping her case - and her eyelashes dampened. Sooner or later she had to let the fluid run free.

Natasha's grip on the younger's hand tightened, "do you understand me?" She searched (y/n)'s face for a response, something to tell her that everything would be alright.

(y/n) let her tears fall free, no longer having the energy to hold them back. She nodded her head at the assassin's question. Her eyes were quickly getting puffy and her nose started running miles on the treadmill that was her misery.

Natasha placed her hand on (y/n)'s cheek, wiping away some of the tears with her thumb. "You, (y/n) (y/l/n), is no murderer." she spoke sincerely. She felt horrible for her girlfriend. Concerned over how the young girl would get out of this state. Granted, it's only been an hour or two, but Natasha knew (y/n), and she knew the girl wouldn't move on from this so easily.

(y/n) flung onto Natasha for dear life. She wrapped her arms tightly around the assassin and rested her head on her shoulder, her face founding comfort in the crook of Natasha's neck. The girl gripped the redhead's clothes into her fists, her knuckles turning white. It was as if she was scared that if she let go, she'd never see her girlfriend again.

One of Natasha's hands cupped (y/n)'s head, stroking her tangled hair. The other went around the girl's tiny frame, holding steadily over her hip. As if possible, she pulled (y/n) even closer. Her flesh craving everything that the girl was.

They were going to get out of this. (y/n) was going to get out of this. Natasha was going to make sure of it.