The Emperor and the Tower

06/09

After school, Yosuke Yu and I went to take our exams, we passed pretty easily.

"Hehe, we passed on the first try, just like we planned. Actually it was pretty easy, I might've studied a little too hard." He said as we walked passed the bus stop.

We spotted Dojima at the gas station, and ran up to him.

"Hi, are you on duty?" Yosuke asked.

"We just stopped by to get gas, and well, to take care of some minor business. Where did you guys go?" He asked.

"To get our licenses." Yu said.

"Already!?" He asked. Yu and I showed him our licenses. "I know it's just a written test to get a scooter license, but still, I wasn't expecting you to pass so soon, looks like I better think of a way to convince my sister."

"Then you're okay with this?" Yu asked.

"I can't say no, now that you've gotten your license. Your enthusiasm is catching." He said.

"Yes! You got the okay! I need to head home and read through the catalogue! Well, see you tomorrow!" Yosuke said.

Yosuke ran home.

"Mind if I borrow you a sec before you head home? Hey, Adachi!" Dojima said.

"I just finished filling it up!" He said.

Adachi brought over the scooter that was from the front of Dojima's house.

"Sorry for dragging you into this, this is my scooter, I had it fixed at the shop, it may be old but it runs pretty well. I came to put gas in it, but I wasn't expecting to hand it over today, too. I'm letting one of you have it." He said.

"It's a nice bike." Yu said.

"You can tell? The local shops don't carry twist grips, so I had one of the repair guys at work help me out with it in secret. Ah, don't tell anyone that, okay?" He asked.

"You're always so strict at the station, but you're a cool dad inside, huh?" Adachi asked.

"Shut up Adachi!" Dojima said.

"You always yell at me, still, I wish we had a sleek means of transportation like that. Who knows when that suspicious guy will show up again? Hasn't he been using professional quality cameras to take pictures of people's houses, from the Amagi inn to around here? Looks like he knows the back streets too, so a car won't be-"

"Will you stop blabbering like that!? Go back to the car!" Dojima said. Adachi ran back to the car after that. "Well, anyway. I was around your age when I got my license too, I took the test behind my parents' back. When my dad caught me riding a scooter later on, he gave me a good thrashing. Hahaha, don't tell Nanako about that, okay? Since I've already given you the okay I won't bug you about traffic laws, just be safe when you're riding it. You do that, and I'll look the other way if you decide to ride out of town. Can you promise me?"

Yu and I both nodded.

"Good, I'll hold you to that." Dojima said.

"You can take the scooter if you want Yu, I'll order something myself." I said to him.

"Thanks Y/n." He said.

Yu rode the scooter home.

While I've got time, I better try to fulfil that fox's request and find that dog. I found it in the shopping district. I tried talking to it gently, but it ran away. It seems to be less weary of me, but I'll find it again.

I should go check in on Konishi's brother, I think he's still at the school.

"I don't want to talk to you." He said, then sighed. "You're an odd person, actually wanting to talk to me. Oh yeah, it appears that I'm chopped liver to the health committee. Do you know what "chopped liver" is? It's something that no one cares about. Whether or not I'm there, the result is the same. I'm "exempt" from everything because of my family troubles. Why don't they just come out and say that I'm pitiable? Everyone circles around me, saying I'm "so brave", it's kind of a nice feeling though. But they all have these obvious looks of curiosity written all over their faces. "How was she killed?" "Why was she killed?" "Do you hate the killer?" They don't have the courage to ask me, but they follow me with their eyes. Every move, every step, I'm sick of it. Is that what you want too? Did you come to talk about the murder?"