8

"So, you saw my text right before I ran into you?" Axel asked the silent boy. Levi glance over at Axel and nodded.

"Yeah..."

Axel smiled to himself, looking at both of their feet, the both of them walking the same relaxed pace on the concrete sidewalk, "That's why you were smiling at your phone, huh?"

Levi hid his face behind his hands, blushing hard. It was silence as they walked through the night. It wasn't too late, but late enough for everybody to be inside their houses and getting ready for bed.

"Why were you at that party earlier?" Axel asked softly, not intending to interrupt the quietness.

Levi mumbled, sounding almost ashamed of himself, "W-Went with a new friend..."

"Oh! Why... Were you alone then?" Axel questioned, sort of unsure if he should be asking so many questions like he was. 

Levi once again spoke in a mumble, "Lost him."

Axel oh'd, "I don't know how anybody could leave you alone somewhere like that." 

Axel felt Levi's hand gently clench his hand a little more securely, 

"A-Axel wouldn't leave Bubba like Eli did... Right?" 

Axel was quick to respond, "You've got that right."

-

"Can I try yours?" Levi said, his own banana milkshake between his hands on the table. Axel took his lips off his straw and held out his strawberry milkshake. Levi took a sip of it quickly and bounced on the bench excitedly, "It tastes like strawberry banana 'cause of mine!!"

"No way, now I want to try yours."

"Try it!" 

Ring~ Ring~

Levi looked down at his lap, his phone was buzzing in his pocket so he pulled it out.

Axel took a drink of Levi's milkshake and then gave it back to him, "Who is it?"

"It's Maia... She might be wondering where I am." Levi said, his tone suddenly changed completely, not sounding at all small. He answered the call before Axel could respond, "Hello?"

"Levi? It's getting late, are you somewhere safe? I told you not to go with that Eli guy..." Maia asked, Levi could tell she was concerned over the phone.

"I'm safe." Levi said sheepishly. He was barely audible.  

"Are you still with him? Should I come pick you up?"  Maia spoke softly, she could tell Levi was acting... different? 

"Yes please..." Levi said, he knew he had to go home in this mindset.