Part 8

Awaiting my brothers return had quickly turned into several days, and Theodens condition had continued to worsen. He was well enough to sit upon the throne once more, but the looks of him weren't very good. His hair was overgrown and grey, his face severely wrinkled as though he had aged 50 years, his clothes were very mangled and too large for him, and his eyes seemed to be made of glass and glazed over, the blue hue non existent anymore. Eowyn was terribly worried about him, spending most of her nights by his bedside in order to monitor his condition. I had noticed Grima was lingering in her footsteps without her knowledge often, causing me to follow his every move. One night as the sun was setting, I followed Grima to a small home on the outskirts of Edoras, quietly entering behind him in order to eavesdrop. I watched as he leaned over what seemed to be a mirror and begin talking to it.

"My lord, Theodens mind is completely over taken, the orcs can begin storming Edoras if you so wished them to. Rohan is yours." Grima said into the plate of glass he was holding in his hands.

"The Rohirrim stand in our way. You need to figure out a way to get them out of Edoras so we may begin to fully over take them, and once this deed is done I promise Eowyn to you." A deep voice replied to him from within the glass.

My body shook with anger and worry, wanting to burst out from the hiding spot I had claimed and choke the life out of Grima. But as I collected my thoughts, I quietly exited the rundown home and made my way back to the great hall to meet with Eomer. As I entered, Eomer was sitting at a table speaking with his sister and Hama, making me realize I had to come up with a way to get Eomer alone.

"Eomer, would you go for a walk with me?" I asked him sweetly as I stood by his side and stuck out a hand to him.

"I would love to, my lady." He replied to me, a bright smile spread across his face. Eowyn shot me an approving nod and giggled to herself.

Eomer stuck his arm out too me, my hand resting in the crease of his elbow as we began to walk the halls of the castle alone together. When I knew we were out of earshot of everyone, I quickly stopped my footsteps and turned to look him in the face, seriousness plastered across mine.

"Daedra, what is going on? I do not like the looks of you right now." Eomer said to me seriously.

"Grima is behind Theodens sickness. I followed him to a rundown home on the outskirts where I witnessed him talking into a sheet of glass saying that Theodens mind has been officially overtaken and that the orcs can now take over Edoras. I thought he was crazy at first, much like you probably think I am right now, but I heard a voice respond to him from within the glass. He told Grima that the Rohirrim needed to be gone out of Edoras before he could officially overtake it, and that if he succeeded in getting rid of them he would give him Eowyn as his prize." I replied to him in hushed whispers.

"Saruman. He promised my sister to Grima?"

"Yes, Eomer. They are trying to take Rohan. We have to do something."

"I have an idea, would you go with me?"

"You know I will."

Eomer smiled at me, kissing my cheek, and leading me back into the hall. We entered, seeing Theoden sitting upon the throne looking rather ill, and Grima crouched down beside him whispering into his ear. Eowyn smiled as she saw us returning together, and then frowned once Eomer began to speak.

"Rohirrim! We shall ride these lands tonight in search of orcs to kill to rid these lands of evil. Daedra will be accompanying us tonight. Gather your weapons and horses, we ride at dusk." Eomer boomed across the hall, getting cheers and acknowledgment out of the many men that were seated there.

Eowyn rushed to us, confusion and worry upon her face as she glanced between the two of us.

"Eomer, you plan to take Daedra along? Is that safe?" She asked hurriedly as we began walking to our bedrooms.

"I believe it is perfectly safe. Besides it was her idea, so I think she should be accompanying me. Stop worrying sister, we have done this hundreds of times." Eomer responded to her, placing a hand gently on her shoulder.

"Aragorn has taught me much the past few weeks we have spent together. I can handle my own, Eowyn. You are needed here to watch over Theoden while we are gone." I told her as I pulled her into a hug.

I entered my room, changing into a red tunic, brown pants, and black boots. I braided my hair down my back so it would stay out of the way, and grabbed my sword, shield, and bow and arrows. I swiftly waked to the stables to meet with the rest of the men and ride out, but halfway there I was met with a commotion happening in the great hall. I watched as Eomer grabbed Grima by the collar and pushed him up against the wall forcefully.

"Too long have you haunted my sisters steps. Too long have you spewed evil across these lands." Eomer spat at him.

I walked up and grabbed Eomers arm in an attempt to calm him down. As I gently pulled him away from Grima, Grima pulled out a paper that was signed by Theoden himself.

"You are henceforth banished from the kingdom of Rohan and are ordered to leave immediately. The king signed it this morning." Grima said to Eomer, an evil smirk plastered on his face.

"I will not stand for this! What you are doing will come to light soon enough!" Eomer shouted as men grabbed his shoulders and forced him back outside.

I followed closely behind, knowing that no matter what I had to leave with him and see it through that this evil gets banished once and for all.