Part 13

As I was perched upon my horses back, tears flooding my face looking nowhere but the ground beneath me, I heard my brother softly speaking to someone from a few paces behind me. I slightly turned my head, figuring out who or what he was talking to, only to see the golden haired elf that accompanied him to Rivendell riding closely up to him. Listening, I focused my sight back to the ground beneath me so my brother was unaware of my snooping into their conversation.

"Legolas, is it all for naught? Will we survive this?" I heard Aragorn ask him, in hopes that no one around him heard his voice.

"I cannot say for sure. I will run ahead, make sure there are no scouts to catch us off guard." Legolas said before jumping down off of his horse and quickly running on foot ahead.

Sorrow was filling my heart, my eyes burning from the constant tears being poured out of them since we left Edoras, thoughts of Eomer filling every void within my head. My free hand that wasn't gripping the reigns tightly still clung to the necklace hanging from my neck. Thats when I heard it. I heard the screams of the women and the roaring of wargs upon us. I was quickly snapped out of my trance, kicking my horse in the sides as I drew my bow and arrow. The wind from riding so fast quickly drying the tears that were staining my face. I watched as Legolas was firing arrows at a speed only an elf could achieve, my horse fast approaching his position.

"Legolas!" I yelled, grabbing his attention and watching in awe as he swung himself upon the back of my horse continuing to fire arrows.

"Where is Aragorn?!" He asked me in between the arrows he was firing behind me.

"He is on horseback, riding with the other soldiers. I came to you after I saw that you had left your horse behind and were on foot. Let us turn and help the other men."

I strapped my bow back across my back as I grabbed the reigns and turned my horse back towards the other men that were slashing through the orcs that kept coming in endless waves. I saw my brothers foot get caught in the rope that was attached to a warg that was pulling him to a cliff, my mind racing and thinking fast as I forced the horse to run faster so I could cut the rope. I panicked, thinking I wouldn't get to him in time, and just as he neared the cliff I cut the rope his leg was attached to, sighing in great relief. Quickly swinging my leg over the back of my horse, I jumped down and ran to him.

"You fool! You could have died! I can't lose you too!" I yelled at him as I pushed his chest, causing him to stumble back slightly, tears threatening my eyes once more.

Instead of saying anything to me, he just pulled me into a hug, comforting me as the battle around us was ending. I pulled away from him, looking up at him with gratefulness that he was still alive and unharmed.

"Come. We must get to Helms Deep." He said to me as we parted and once again mounted our horses to finish the trek to our destination.

As we topped the large hill in front of us, the deep came into perfect view, its beauty radiating as it was sticking out of the side of the mountain. The audible gasps and murmurs of finally arriving was surrounding us, smiles spread across every persons face. Except mine. I was safe, protected, but what of Eomer? Where was he? Was he alive? My mind was reeling at thoughts of him, a tear slowly trickling down my face.

"Daedra, he will return." I heard Eowyn say softly next to me as she placed a comforting hand upon my shoulder.

"I can only hope, Eowyn." I answered her softly, wiping the tears from my cheek and proceeding forward to our refuge.

The inside of the grandiose city was absolutely gorgeous. The stone walls halfway up the mountain, showing how impenetrable they really were. I was in awe as we rode to the keep, listening to the troubled murmurs of the townsfolk around me. I quickly dismounted my horse, grabbing all of my weaponry and heading inside the keep.

"Ten thousand?! How do we stand a chance against that many orc?" Theoden exclaimed, exasperated.

"We do what we can. The walls will hold." I spoke up and said as I approached the men talking.

"The men will, yes. You are to go into the caves with Eowyn and the other women." Aragorn flatly stated, causing an angered gasp to escape my lips.

"I most certainly am not. I will stand and fight."

"Daedra, do as I say! I promised Eomer to keep you safe."

"She is a tough girl, Aragorn. Let her decide her fate." Theoden spoke up and said, coming to my defense.

Aragorn turned and threw his hands up in frustration before looking me in the eyes, seriousness plastered across his face.

"Fine. But you are to be by my side the entire time, understood?" Aragorn stated, a finger pointed in my direction.

"As you wish, brother." I said as I sighed.

"To your stations then, the orcs will be here before dark." Theoden stated as he began to put his armor on.

Aragorn and I ran side my side out the gate to take our position on the wall. Aragorn was on my right side while Legolas and Gimli were on my left. I heard Legolas and Gimli joking back and forth, making a small chuckle escape my lips for the first time in days.

"I'm glad we could make you smile, Daedra." I heard Legolas whisper beside me, earning another smile from me.

"I thank you, Legolas. And master dwarf for lightening my mood some, but I am still worrisome over Eomer. The orcs are fast approaching and he is nowhere in sight. Gandalf has also yet to have been seen." I stated, watching the lights of the orcs fast approaching and hearing the stomping of their boots.

"They will come."