Opposites Attract

Niyati pov

How could be so reckless,
With someone's heart?

Niyati pov

Bhrata Yudhishthir looks at me a nods, telling me that they will be leaving and waiting for me with Mata.

Jyesth, Nakul and Sahadev then leave, Bheem staying behind with Arjun, Draupadi and I.

As soon as the varmala ceremony is done, Mama Shakuni gets up and says,

“This is not correct, King Draupad. After calling us, all the kshatriyas, you go ahead and wed your daughter to a Brahmin? This is our insult.” he exclaims and his minions take out their weapons.

“Kings of all the places, kill this Brahmin who has disrespected us all!” Duryodhan orders, foolishly.

As soon as the words utter out of his mouth, Bhrata Karna steps forward.

“To kill this Brahmin will not be right, friend,” he explains, “He has proved himself worthy of this swayamvar. Follow the path of righteousness, Friend Duryodhan.” he pleads and my heart bleeds.

He just took a stand for himself and now he's back being the right hand of Duryodhan.

Bhrata Karna deserves a good friend, not Duryodhan who's just using him for his skills.

“They are the Pandavas, putro.” Mamashree Shakuni recognizes but no one except Yash and I hear it.

Yash and I share a look, his eyes filled with laughter and mine with panic.

How could this man be laughing at a situation like this?

But then i remember, no matter what the situation, Yash has always had that smile.

The smile which not only indicated happiness, but also the sufferings, pain, hurt.

His constant beautiful smile somehow assures me that everything will be fine and that I don't need to worry.

He will always be with me.

“Let us leave this place, Mamashree, I will not stay here for a minute longer.” Duryodhan snarls, his eyes full of hatred.

***

Draupadi and Arjun were leaving along with Bheem and a Brahmin on Bheem's back who was blabbering how he brought Arjun here.

I turn to Yash and say, “It is time I leave too, Yash.”

He catches my hand, “No priye, stay with me. For a little longer. Please.” He says looking deep into my eyes as if there was something trapped in there.

“But-”

“Stay Niyati,” Bheem whispers in my ears, “You can come back later, don't worry I will inform Jyestha and Mata.” he grins mischievously.

I shake my head in annoyance but also relief.

Bheem will take care of it.

I can stay with Yash a little longer before our act continues as i know Duryodhan and his companions won't utter a word to the blind king regarding us being alive.

***

Yash and I spend a lot of time together talking about irrelevant things, making us feel younger than we are.

Yash makes me feel alive and all, but sometimes I see this sadness in his eyes which disturbs and troubles me because it passes through his eyes only when he's with me.

I never thought that I'd fall in love with someone, much less, a person opposite to me.

I guess what they say is correct, opposites attract.

***

“Dwarakadheesh Vasudev Krishna, the daughter of King Draupad has returned along with the Brahmin and his family.” The handmaid informs us.

We go down and look at King Draupad angry.

“I will not let my daughter suffer through this pain. She is not meant for this pain!”

“But isn't she?” Yash retorts, “When you were asked what you want in your daughter, did you not ask for a lifetime of misery for her, King Draupad? Weren't you the one who asked for all the world's pain for her?”

I gasp, as I look at Draupadi who is looking at her father tearfully.

My mother looks at me and cries more.

What happened here?

“Do you know who they are, King Draupad? They are the Pandavas, and here beside me, who stuck with me today as my helper, is Niyati, their sister.” Yash informs him.

I see the shock on the King's face.

Draupadi runs out of there and goes to her room.

I stare at her running figure before asking, “What is going on here?”

“Putri, I accidentally told Arjun to share what got with his brothers, and what he had got was-” she broke down but i understood her.

“But what he got for dakshina was Draupadi.”

They nodded.

“Princess Draupadi decided to get married to all of us, so the other four of the brothers didn't need to take sanyas.” Jyesth continues as Mata cries on Nakul's shoulder.

“But then, King Draupad came and took her,” Sahadev says, “Wondering in the forest, we met Sant Vyasa, he told us what to do.”

They explained to me what they talked to Sant Vyasa about.

“Let me talk to Draupadi.” Yash says before striding out of there. I followed him.

As we entered Sakhi Draupadi's chamber, she came and fell on Yash's feet.

“What should I do now, Govind?” she sobs, “Is getting married to 5 men righteous, Govind?”

“Definitely not, sakhi, I will not lie. But in your case, it is not unrighteous, either.”

She looks at me, with cofusion thinking i can understand Yahs and his talks, which i kind of do, but not that much.

“Don't look at me Sakhi,” I exclaim, trying to lighten up the air in the chamber, “I don't understand him.” I continue, shaking my hands in a no gesture.

“If you won't understand, my sakha, Govind, Sakhi Niyati, then who will?” she asks.

I sigh.

“I guess, what he means is that, you decided to marry them all, then it is your decision, sakhi. Not anyone else's. If you think it is the right thing to do, then it is correct. Trust your instincts, trust your gut feeling, Sakhi.” I explain and Yash smiles.

“In the end, it is what you want, Sakhi. It is your decision.” Yash repeats, looking at me strangely.

Later that night, Draupdi came and announced that she will marry all the five brothers.

***

Niyati pov

How do you let go of a place that feels like home?
That is your home?
Because he was my home, and I don't know how I will ever let go of him?
Am I even that strong?

.

.

.

Thanks for reading.
Vote and comment and do share this story.

I can't wait for the dyut sabha scene, i have already planned out what to do but then there's just so much that needs to happen before that scene 😭😭
.

.

.
Radhe Radhe