𝟐.

After she ran from the man she could hear him try to follow her, but ultimately he gave up and continued his way to wherever he needed to be.

It was almost a thrill, it made adrenaline settle in her chest and gave her the feeling of 'I could do anything'. Though instead she decided to resume the search for a hide out, coming to the conclusion that a safe haven was more rewarding than following a cute guy like some middle school crush.

Nina passed the time by French braiding her hair and by the time she was done, her hair was prettily out of her face, and her arms were tired from being strained in such unusual positions.

Bored, she once again mentally noted the knives she could feel hidden throughout her outfit. One in her bra, in her waistline and her boot.

She's not doing so hot, okay? The thought of giving birth strikes an anxiety in her, one that has been deep routed into her soul. The borderline horror stories women told about their experience in the back of her mind. And they had doctors, medical care, their families, epidurals, ectetera. Nina does not.

Nina could do for a good cry right about now as she thinks about having to birth her baby in the open, not knowing what lurks around and feeds off her screams before doing the same to her and her child.

Maybe she should've stayed with that man, guilt consumed over her anxiety as she recalls how she left him there, injured and having to fight those things off.

It may have been the half asleep drowsy state she was in, but the guilt forges an image of the man she helped, making her scoff as she waved it away. Soon getting irritated when the image did not relent.

He crouches down, already having taken in her stomach with his eyes and now more worried about her. Though, he was almost certain he did not see that crucial detail when she was in front of him. It could've been the shirt she was wearing, black is very slimming they say.

This had to have been the woman that wrapped him up. He couldn't just leave a pregnant lady to sleep out in the open after she came to his aid.

So with the strength he had- most of which was adrenaline at the moment- he lifts her up, snaking his arm around her back and under her shoulders, her arm over his.

At this point she's awake and out of the sleep state, just tired now. Nina's realized he's not a figment of her imagination and hopes that if he notices, that he pins the blame on the sun for her blush.

Ignore the ears around his neck and the fact he's unhygienically dirty because of the events at the ravine, he's definitely attractive.

Noticing how much of a strain she puts on his injured body, she puts her arm under his, imitating the way he holds her.

His head snaps to her and she just about drops him completely at how sudden it was.

As he now knows she's capable of standing on her own he pulls back any help he gave, dropping his arms to his side.

Nina holds back a wince at the action. All she wanted to do was make sure he wasn't hurting himself any further, but maybe she was in the wrong? He probably just didn't enjoy physical contact. That's okay.

They walk side by side until the trees clear up and out in the distance a farm is visible. Tents huddled in front of the house, people bustling about. Nina and him don't get very far before a group of men are darting for them like bullets.

Bad analogy apparently.

Nina readies herself to bolt away but the unfortunate bang of a gunshot rings out and she drops to the ground, her hands instinctively covering her head and stomach to protect the two of them.