𝟏𝟑.

Daryl awakes from his slumber when the baby's arm slaps him from the basket, wanting attention. He gets into a sitting position and takes her from the makeshift bed, bouncing her on his lap and quietly humming a song he couldn't remember the name of.

Each day Daphne looked more and more like her mother. The same button up noses, dark brown head of hair, face shape. But Daphne's eyes were blue. Most babies are born with blue eyes, but Nina had told him Daphne's biological father had blue eyes, so it would be no surprise if the colour stayed.

He looks around to the sight of almost everyone awake and making conversation, T-Dog was still sleeping from his late night shift on watch and everyone decided to let him sleep until they had to leave. The man turns his head to Nina's empty spot, his eyes subtly but worriedly glance around for any sight of the woman.

"She went with Maggie and Beth on a walk." Glenn doesn't even look up from what he was doing, having a feeling that the missing mother would be what he would worry about when he awoke.

Daryl nods and puts his attention back on a 'talking' Daphne. The baby waves her arms around when she gurgles her nonsense, getting really into whatever it was she was saying. The Dixon stands up, keeping the baby in his arms.

The sun was rising, so Daryl wanted to go out and catch breakfast for the group. He walks over to Rick, the leader of the group outstretches his arms for the baby, wanting to hold his niece. "I'ma go hunt for breakfast." He tells him, walking back to where he was sleeping and grabbing his crossbow before trekking into the woods.

Only catching four squirrels so far he wanted to continue his search, maybe get something a little larger to fill the group before they have to move again.

He stops behind a tree when he hears voice's, feminine voices. He knew it was the three girls, having picked up the familiar melody of Nina's laughs, so he didn't know why he was hiding.

Curiosity gets the best of everyone sometimes.

"Glenn's doing this new thing where every time he hears something stupid he tells you straightforward. He says it's so I don't look like an idiot, but I think he's just going through some new bitchy faze."

"I don't know, I think it's pretty funny." Beth laughs out, thinking about all the times he's been sassing his girlfriend.

"No, it's not! When I see him walking towards my general vicinity I stop, drop and roll away. He laughed at me and patted my back because I accidentally said 'Me and Glenn' instead of 'Glenn and I'. It was one time." Maggie complains, huffing against the log they were all sat on.

Nina snickers at the green eyed woman, finding the situation hilarious.

Maggie's glare finds Nina, "Please don't laugh at my undoing."

"It's a natural reaction." Nina defends herself, fighting off giggles.

"Well control it for a second."

"I don't know, I think Glenn was always meant to be a mean girl." Nina explains teasingly.

"What about you and Daryl?" Maggie asks after deciding how she would punish him. Probably just ignore him until he figures out somethings wrong.

"What do you mean 'me and Daryl'? There is no 'me and Daryl'."

"Puh-lease. Why are you acting like we don't all know? Just tell us, this is a safe space." Beth raises her eyebrows.

While Beth's brows went up, Nina's went down as she thought about what could've been if she had just told him.

Unbeknownst to the three girls, Daryl was frozen in place behind the tree, waiting for her answer too.