𝟑.

That night after dinner she was walking around trying to find something that would make her useful as Maggie and Beth refused to let her even touch a dirty dish.

A random sweat breaks out on her forehead before her knees tremble with a burst of pain, bearable but so sudden it caught her off guard. It roamed from her lower stomach all the way to her lower back, pinching and twisting in agony, forcing her to bite back a yelp.

Nina clutches the back of the couch for stability, not trusting that she's recovered from the shock of it yet.

"Nina, if you'd like you could wipe down the tables and counters-" Maggie calls, knowing how upset Nina was at not being able to contribute to the household tasks. The short haired woman pauses when she sees Nina, one hand on her back and the other gripping for dear life against the couch. "Nina? Are you okay?" Maggie approaches slowly as if stepping up to an injured animal.

Blowing a puff of air from her cheeks, Nina nods slowly. "Yeah, that was really random."

Insensible nor blind, Nina's positive that she's past her due date, and was almost one hundred percent sure she would have to force the labour. Perhaps the fear of giving birth fogs her right mind a little bit, perhaps it's Braxton hicks?

Nina suddenly laughs, throwing Maggie off a tad at the random and almost creepy giggles. Nina turns her head to the other woman, still giggling. "Wow, that was weird, huh?" A phew passes her lips before she walks it off.

Maggie watches, stunned, as Nina leaves the room. Slowly coming to her senses she finds her father and informs him of the weird encounter. Hershel nods and tells her she's most likely getting contractions and to monitor them until they get to five to four minutes apart before coming to him again.

Ten minutes of wiping countertops and flat surfaces in the kitchen easily take her mind off of the strange pain. Obviously during nine months of pregnancy this moment had crossed her mind, it was the way she'd finally get to meet the human she's been creating in her womb, but was she ready for it? Anyone knew that it wasn't a walk in the park, and it certainly wouldn't be for her.

Nina begins setting dried dishes and such away when the glass mug slips from her hand and she's arching her back to release some pain. Hot flashes wave over her and she breaks out in sweat, panting as the tightness in her lower back increases. A forceful twinge in the bottom of her stomach adds to the knee buckling ache. The mug shatters upon contact with the floor and alerts Maggie who had been mindlessly talking outside on the porch.

The oldest Greene daughter sprints inside to see Nina leaning against the counter for the cool temperature the marble carry's. Nina's hands holding so tightly around the edge of said counter it might as well shatter.

Despite still being in a daze, with effort she crouches down and begins picking up pieces of the broken mug.

"Woah, woah, it's okay I got this." Maggie takes the shards carefully, tossing them in the trash and reaching for the broom.

Falling back on her butt after being unable to stay squatted she gazes up at the younger woman. "I'm so sorry! I broke your cup and now you're cleaning up after me," Nina wipes the sweat off her face with the back of her hand, rolling her eyes at how she couldn't even simply put away a cup without needing to be cleaned up after like a child.

Maggie taps the dust pan against the inside of the garbage, glancing at the woman over her shoulder. Maggie sighs and drops the plastic onto the counter, backing up until she's beside her and sitting down. "Nina." Maggie whispers, getting Nina to look her in the eyes. "It's just a mug. Some painted pottery piece we got at the store. The fact you weren't hurt is all we need to be fretting about, you were lucky."