Chapter 20

GUSTAVE

"Mr. Salguero! Good morning, I have the things that you asked me to buy. It's in your office." Vilma stood up and gave me a slight bow.

"Thanks, Vilma."

Humakbang ako papasok sa opisina ko at nadatnan ko ang iilang paper bag sa coffee table. Nilapitan ko ang mga iyon at isa isang sinilip. Inutusan ko si Vilma na bumili ng mga painting materials para kay Ansel. The boy has talent.

I still remember how happy he was when he showed me his artwork a few weeks ago. I've been spending some more time together with the boy. I used to keep my distance because that's the way my father took care of me. He was the provider of the family and my mom, she was supposed to care for us. And I thought I ought to do the same but I'm starting to realize that I was wrong.

Ansel talked, and I meant he didn't stutter when he thanked me. It was two words but I was so happy. Considering what his mom and I went through before he was born. I thought my boy was lacking, that he didn't have what it takes to run the company when the time comes but it turned out that I was the one lacking. We had him checked out on a Monday, the first time in a long time that I took a half day from work. The doctor said that positive reinforcements are good for him. I thought that therapy was enough to make him  better but it wasn't.

There was nothing wrong with him. He is just a boy. Kung mayroong may pagkukulang ay ako 'yon. Hindi ko dapat inisip na may kulang sa anak ko dahil iyon mismo ang ginawa sakin ng ama ko. I couldn't help but think what I would feel if my dad treated me the way I treated Ansel. It was awful. He was awful and I'm not. Not anymore, at least. Being a provider doesn't mean that I can't be a father to my son. And if he doesn't get better, I will accept it. Because he is my son. And I'm sure Sandrine and I will make a lot more children in the future. I just have to talk to her about it.

Sandrine and I have been working on our marriage the past weeks. We would spend some time together either at work or at home. We would do things together, talk to each other and just be there for each other. There's not a single night that we didn't have sex and boy did I have the best time.

Medyo maluwag na ang schedule ko dahil nabili na namin ang Ecowind. Nagka pirmahan na kami ng mga papeles noong huling Biyernes. Of course, I fulfilled my promise that Sandrine will handle it. I filled her in on the plan that I want to dig up the land. She has her doubts but she came through. She knows it's smart, not practical or eco friendly but smart. I blew ten billion pesos for the land itself, now I need to spend a few more billions for the process but after that? The sweet, sweet success.

There is only one thing that I'm not so sure about. Holden Smith, the guy that she wants to partner with. I can never understand why she picked him out of all the contractors out there. But I saw his rap sheet, the guy was good. All I can read about him is positive. I also didn't want to object to my wife's choice. I told her she will lead the project so I have to let her pick whoever she wants to work with.

Just as I was removing my coat, my doors opened. Sandrine came through the door with her a pink corporate attire, pink coat, pink pencil skirt and a white top that shows her cleavage a little bit. I can't help but stare, specially when she's wearing her pearls, complimenting her asset.

"Staring is rude, Mister." Kunyari ay naiinis na aniya.

"Yes, but if the person I'm staring at likes it. Is it still rude?" I said, cocking my brows up. Waiting for her feisty comeback.