Chapter 30

SANDRINE

There's only one word to describe what's happening to us now. Chaos. For some reason, the information that Salguero Tropics will frack the Ecowind estates leak to the media. Reporters are flooding on our gates, convoys of police in and out of Ecowind and our estate, environmental protesting for hours. Everything is a mess, I can't even begin to decide which one to fix first.

I was at the office when the news broke. I tried calling Gustave multiple times but he wasn't answering his phone. I figured he didn't have the time since the media is quickly covering the news. Gustave's brothers sent the jet to Visayas to fly them back on our estate immediately. I didn't realize how much time passed and all I could think about is getting to him and see him safe.

Agaw-dilim na nang makarating kami sa mataas na gate ng compound. Napangiwi ako sa nakakasilaw na flash ng iba't ibang camera sa labas. Ilang mga tao ang nag-sisigawan, sa harap ay ang isang babae na may hawak na megaphone, basa ang pisngi at namamaga ang mga mata. The Aston Martim was heavily tinted but it felt like they can see me inside, I can feel their disgust and I don't even know why. It was an unfortunate accident. Walang may gusto ng nangyari!

"P-pinatay niyo ang Tatay ko! Managot kayo!" Isa isang nag-batuhan ng hilaw na itlog ang mga nag poprotesta sa tapat ng gate namin. Nahirapana kaming ipasok ang sasakyan dahil sa dagsa ng mga reporters at mga nag rarally.

Sonly grunted on the front seat and the driver tried his best to maneuver around the swarm of protesters quickly. A couple dozen of men dressed in black stood up behind the gates as it opened. We went inside quickly while they were blocking the people from going in with us. Hindi na ako nag-aksaya ng oras at dumiretso sa bahay ni Abuelo. As soon as the car stopped, I hopped out and marched inside.

Abuelo's house is filled with a lot of people. A group of lawyers is already inside his office having a meeting with Gustave. His brothers dropped everything that they're doing to help. Holden's people are also inside, helping with the fiasco and I just got home from the office. Everyone was busy, the maids are going around serving drinks, there are a lot more of those men in black and the whole house was just buzzing.

Umiiling na dumiretso ako sa office ni Abuelo. Ramdam ko na ang kirot sa leeg ko at wLa pa ako sa loob. Nahirapan akong umuwi dahil puno ng sasakyan ang daan pauwi. Ang iba sa kanila ay nakasunod sa akin. Hindi ko alam kung media din ba ang mga iyon o kailangan ko nang matakot sa kaligtasan ko. Sigurado akong nakilala nila ang sasakyan kaya nagpasalamat ako sa Diyos na mataas ang bakod ng lugar at tinted ang sasakyang sinasakyan ko.

My secretary already briefed me about what happened. I've met Mang Terry a dozen of times. He was the sweetest old man I know. He's loyal to the company and his skills are incomperable. Everything felt like a nightmare. Hindi ako makapaniwalang namatay ng ganun-ganon lang si Mang Terry.

There were two men in black standing outside the double doors of Abuelo's study. When they saw that it was me, they opened the door and I went inside. There were more than a dozen of people inside the office and Abuelo was sitting in the middle behind his table. Gustave and Holden sat in front of him facing each other, they both looked rough with dirt all over their faces, their suit is trashed with some holes in it and I saw a glimpse of blood on Gustave's long sleeve polo.

I took my phone out and dialed my secretary's number.

"Jane, I need two sets of men's clothing. Bring them to me ASAP." Everyone looked at me when they heard my voice but my gaze is fixed on Gustav and his miserable state.

He stood up and embraced me, his his head rested on my shoulder and I hugged him as tight as I can not minding the presence of the people in there.

"Hey..." Buntong hininga ko.