Chapter 9

SANDRINE

The day that I dreaded the most  is here. For weeks, Gustave and I never had a even a single word. I'm lucky because there isn't any event for the past weeks. Or else I'll be forced to act all lovey-dovey with him. I got lucky that the board agreed to review my proposal before pushing through with Gustave's pitch. I just have to nail this and everything will be fine. And if I still don't win, then at least I tried.

We sleep in the same room. We use the same bathroom and closet and we live in this huge mansion. I'm sure everyone would think that I'm living the dream. But frankly, they're wrong. We treat each other as stranger. No one, even. Nagpapanggap na lamang ako na para siyang hangin.

Isa lang naman sana ang gusto ko. Ang ituring niya akong isang babae at asawa. Pero hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit ang hirap hirap para sa kanya. Whenever he looks at me, touch me or even get in bed with me, I only see a man that doesn't have anything deep to offer. I never see in his eyes that he really wants me. All he cares about is the company.

And he has the audacity to blame it all on me? Who does he think he is? Akala siguro niya ay naiintimida ako sa yaman niya. Hindi ako papayag na ganito ang gawin niya sa akin. I will stand with what's right. I know damn well that they are going to dig the earth wherever they decided to build that plant. Fracking is the most disgusting thing that a man can do to nature. I won't let them do that. Lalo na ngayong nabalitaan kong plano niyang bilhin ang ECOWIND. Their plant stand on one of the finest lands in the Philippines. Hindi niya bibilhin iyon para ituloy ang negosyo. I know they will dig the land.

Ako ang nauna sa loob ng conference room. Naupo ako sa kaliwang bahagi ng lamesa ba pinaka malapit sa upuan ng Chairman. I always sit on the same chair for years. Gayon din si Gustave. Isa isang nag-pasukan ang mga miyembro ng board sa loob. Maiksing ngiti lamang ang iginawad ko sa kanila. Hindi ko magawang mag-panggap dahil masyado akong kinakabahan.

The Salguero brothers entered the room and greeted everyone in there. Huling pumasok si Gustave kasunod si Chairman. Isang maikling sulyap lang ang naganap sa pagitan namin. Hindi ko alam kung nahahalata ba nila ang lamat sa relasyon namin pero mukhang napaka galing niyang mag-panggap at wala ata silang kaalam alam.

"Today, we're going to discuss our sole project for the year 2021. We narrowed it down into two." Panimula ni Don Sergio.

"Gustave's pitch focuses on the expansion of our plant. You can read the details on the folder in front of you. Huwag na nating patagalin. Hijo, go ahead and present your proposal." Kumumpas ang kamay ni Don Sergio na siyang naging tanda ng pag-tayo ni Gustave.

He buttoned his suit every so graceful and walked to the front of the conference room like he owns it. Well technically, he does own it. He was so confident as if he knew that he already won.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I will now present my business plan for the year 2021..."

He started explaining the points of his project. From the budget that the company will need, which is billions by the way, to the expected outcome. He did a lot of research and we all found out that the plan has 87% of chance to succeed. That is already enough for the board to agree with him. It is also expected to to give is 39% of increase on income. Nakita ko kung pano nag-liwanag ang mukha ng buong board habang nagpapaliwanag siya.

"That is all. Thank you." Tumikhim si Gustave matapos niyang i-prisinta ang kanyang project.

Kahit sino naman siguro ang nasa posisyon ko ay kakabahan. Lalo na nang makita ko ang positibonh reaksyon ng board sa plano niya. Pero hindi na ako pwedeng umurong. I will try to fight for what's right.