Prologue

"You can love me for as long as you need to, but you have to move on without me." Those are his last words to me on his deathbed. The man that saved me and loved me more than anything else in the world. He could barely breathe but he still managed to talk to me for the last time. I knew it was time to go but I didn't see a hint of fear in his eyes. Not a minute past and he was gone.

It was a dark, rainy day and every single face that I can see is mourning. They should be. Because today, we let go of the greatest man that the world can offer. My husband.

Everyone was wearing black. They were quietly sending their condolences to me but it didn't matter. He is gone. My wonderful Arnulfo is gone. Everything was a blur, I didn't even have and idea how I manage to organize this. I'm mournful, sleep deprived and hungry but there is only one thing important to me. To send him off peacefully.

Today is his memorial and everyone is gathered in the chapel that I have rented for today. Ang iba ay nakaupo na at ang iba naman ay paparating pa. Ang mga pumapasok sa loob ay sinasalubong ko muna kahit halos matumba na ako sa pag-ikot ng paningin ko. Kahit gaano kadami pa ang mag-sabi sa akin na magiging maayos din ang lahat, hindi pa din niyon matabunan ang sakit na aking nararamdan. No amount of comforting words can make me feel better.

"My condolences, Sandrine." Ang sabi ni  Madame Coraline Valdez, the owner of a five star hotel all over the country and across asia. I've seen her from different events before. I know Arnulfo and her are close.

"Thank you, Madame." Magalang na pasasalamat ko kasabay ng pag abot ko sa kamay niya.

Ramdam ko ang init ng kanyang palad na tumatagos sa suot kong itim na satin gloves. Itinago ko ang mga namamagang mata ko sa likod ng malaking itim na salamin na kapareha ng itim na lace dress at itim na fascinator. Arnulfo always told me that I looked beautiful in pearls. So I only wore pearl jewelry today.

Humakbang si Madame Coraline at sunod niyang kinamayan si Charlotte. My step-daughter. I am only two years older than her, but her father taught her well. She respected me and accepted me as her step-mother.

"My condolences, Charlotte." Aniya pagkatapos ay kinamayan ang huli.

Tumuloy na si Madame sa loob ng chapel. Hinarap ko si Charlotte na unti unti nanamang kinakain ng lungkot. Charlotte was there when her father passed away. Wala kaming nagawa kundi panoorin ang huling hininga ni Arnulfo bago siya lumisan sa mundong ito. We both know that there's nothing we can do but to accept it.

"Are you okay?" Tanong ko.

Tiningnan niya ako bago siya tumango ngunit unti unti din namang tumulo ang kanyang luha. Wala akong nagawa kundi yakapin siya at damayan sa oras ng pighati. Arnulfo was a great man and everybody loved him. Especially his only daughter.

"We'll get through this." I assured her even though I wasn't sure if I am going to be okay myself.

Sinalubong ko ang mga sumunod na bisita hanggang sa kahuli hulihang personalidad na dumating.

A fine old man with a gold plated walking cane stepped on the doors of the chapel. He is wearing an all black suit and tie that he paired with a black hat. Everything about him and his entourage is screaming money. Although the lines on his face is prominent because of age, I cannot deny the fact that he was a handsome guy on his prime.

Don Sergio Salguero, the chairman of Salguero Tropics offered his hand to me and I gladly accepted it. Napalitan ng isang malungkot na ngiti ang kanyang blangkong ekspresyon. His mustache twitched as he smiled.

"Sandrine... Wipe that tears off your face. Tarantado talaga itong si Arnie, inunahan pa ako sa langit." Biro niya.

Bahagya akong natawa sa kabila ng pagtulo ng mga luha ko. Don Sergio is Arnulfo's best friend. Sabay nilang sinimulan ang kani kanilang kumpanya sa Pilipinas at nanatiling magkaibigan simula noon.