Chapter 3 - Telling

I wondered round the hallways desperate to find Cristina or Derek, however I was mostly looking for Cristina as I knew Derek was busy. I glanced at the O.R board to see Cristina had finished her surgery. I asked a Nurse who was called Emily,I think and asked if she knew where Dr. Yang was. " she's in room 3428." She told me quietly. " thanks." I said looking back at her. I went over to room 3428 and saw Cristina in there. I was so relieved that I finally found her. " Hey, Cristina do you have a minute?" I whispered as her patient was sleeping. " yeah." Cristina replied. We were outside the patients room until I grabbed Cristina's arm and took her somewhere more private. " I haven't seen you all-." she said as I interrupted her. " I have really really important news to tell you...I'm pregnant!" She went quiet for a few seconds. " no way!" she replied as her eyes widened." yeah." I said. " no freakin way!" She said with her mouth wide open. " right?" I answered back to her. " oh my god, right okay... um were you trying to get-." She asked as I interrupted again. " no total accident, I used the thing!" I smiled back at her. " oh so are we happy about this or are we exercising our legal right to choose?" She questioned. I let out a sigh of happiness and Cristina then laughed and smiled at me " okay alright, congratulations!" She shouted in a happy tone. " let's hug it out." She said as she came towards me with her arms wide open. She surprised me as she doesn't hug people much, not even me. " oh my god are you gonna tell him?" She asked with a big grin on her face. " no I just found out." I replied. Our pagers then went off. " it's Teddy... Derek, are you gonna tell him now?" Cristina asked. " yeah okay, how is the Teddy and Owen thing going?" I responded. " oh oh fantastic, it's going great in completely over it," Cristina said, " this is very adult, I'm proud of you Meredith Grey. " I'm proud of me too." I smiled and walked away.

~ In Dereks office~
I knocked on the door and slowly opened it to see Derek surround by a load of paper work. He looked up and smiled when he saw me, which warmed my heart. I went towards him and kissed him on the cheek. " hey, you weren't home this morning." "I'm sorry Mer I got paged 911 and as you can see I have a lot of paper work to get through." Derek responded. " no it's okay I'm just wondering if you'll be home tonight, I have some important news to tell you." I smiled. " yeah, yeah I should be." He answered, " you look very happy." " I do?" I asked. " yeah but it's good, I love to see your beautiful smile on your gorgeous face." He said looking up at me. My pager went off. "Well I better get back to work." I exclaimed. I gave him another kiss and let him finish his paper work. I decided to tell him about the news when we get home because I could tell he was already stressed about the paper work and I didn't want to make him more stressed telling him that he's going to become a father.

I walked out of his office and walked across the catwalk and went to find Bailey because she had paged me 911. I found Bailey in the MRI room with Charles beside her. I looked through the glass to see Mr Morris. Bailey glared at me, " GREY look at these scans, look at them closely."She yelled. I starred at them and noticed a tumour surrounding Mr Morris' pancreas. " Grey these are the scans you took earlier and you didn't bother to tell me that Mr Morris had a tumour!" She shouted with a big frown on her face. " I- I ." " no need for excuses Grey I don't wanna here them because now his tumour has spread." I looked at the fresh scans and was shocked to see how big the tumour had got in such short time. Bailey told me to go sit in O.R 3 gallery and that I can watch her and Charles do the surgery because she said I didn't deserve it after making such a big mistake. I rolled my eyes and Charles smiled. I squinted at him and gave him the death stare and he walked off to prep Mr Morris.

~O.R 3~
It had been 2 hours since Charles and Bailey had started and I already was bored because I wanted to be in there with them. I sat back and looked behind me to see that Lexie came to join me. " hey Mer, I thought you would be in there." "me too Lex, me too." " was you able to find Derek?" She asked as she moved to sit next to me. " yes I did." I smiled. We began to talk and I was trying to bite my tongue and not tell her about the baby. It nearly slipped out but then... * BEEP,BEEP,BEEP*. We looked down to see that Mr Morris has gone into V-fib. " charge to 200!" Bailey shouted, " and again." It had been 23 minutes and nothing. " time of death 14:53." Bailey said with a frown. She looked up at me and pointed to the scrubs room. I headed to the scrub room. " Grey, you can go tell his wife that she is now a widow." " what? shouldn't it be Charles?" I asked. " yes but in this case you can, you didn't read the scans properly, so we couldn't get in there sooner, so you can tell his wife." Bailey said angrily, shoving his chart in my hands.

~ 3 hours later~
It was 17: 53 and I had just finished my post-ops but all I could think about was Mr Morris and his poor wife. I tried to focus on the good things, the fact that me and Derek were going to become parents. I headed towards Dereks office to ask if he was ready to go home until I heard a voice. " hey Mer I heard what happened Lexie told me." April said, " I'm so sorry." " thanks." I replied. " if u need anything let me know." April smiled. " okay thank you." I answered back. She gave me a quick hug then walked away. That was nice of her I thought to myself. I entered Dereks office to see that he was packing his bag and his desk had no paper work. " I see you finished then." I said as I snuck behind him. " yes finally, I thought it was never going to end." He laughed, " are you ready?" He asked. " yes I just need to get changed and grab my bag I'll be quick, I promise." I replied. Derek went to wait in the car as hurried to get changed because I was so excited to tell him.

~ At Meredith's house~
We just got home and it was around 18:45, I held my stomach trying to give hints. Derek looked at me, " you hungry, because I am?" " yeah I am." I said, " I'll order pizza." " okay, I'm going to take a quick shower and then hopefully the pizza will be here." I went upstairs and got into my Pjs and sat in bed and had the pregnancy test in my hand. I hid it under his pillow so he would hopefully find it. I heard the water stop and the bathroom door close. Derek walked in wrapped in a towel. He quickly got into his Pjs and looked at me as he brushed his hair. " didn't you say you had something important to tell me when we got home." He questioned. " I do." I said looking deep into his eyes and began to smile. " so what is it?" He asked as he put his brush down on the dresser and got into bed. " look under your pillow." I ordered him. " under my pillow?" He said looking puzzled. I nodded. He rolled over and lifted up his pillow and he picked up the pregnancy test that had a positive sign on it. Derek looked at me and had no emotion. Nervously, I looked back at him. He then leaned forwards and gave me a huge kiss on the lips. He pulled away to show a huge smile on his face. " I'm gonna be a dad?!" He grinned. " mhm." I nodded. I had never seen him look so happy. A weight lifted off my shoulders. He hugged me and looked at my stomach. " how far alone are you?" He asked. " umm, I'm not sure actually." I responded. " how about tomorrow we get you and the baby checked out." He suggested. " great idea." I smiled. The door bell rang and I was about to get up and get the pizza until Derek told me to sit where I was and he'd get it. Of course he was already being overprotective. He came back into our bedroom holding pizza in his hand. " that smells amazing." I said. " doesn't it just." Derek replied. We began to eat and put on a movie.

~Dereks POV~
It was around 23:07 and Mer was asleep. I looked down at her tiny but beautiful body. I slowly got up trying not to wake her and placed the box of pizza on the dresser. I climbed back into bed with mixed emotions. I can't believe I'm going to be a dad I thought to myself. It was all quiet and peaceful. I spoke to soon. I heard the front door slam and Alex and Jackson singing and Lexie and April laughing. I ran downstairs telling them to hush. They were all drunk. I told them that it was late and Mer was asleep and that they should get to bed. They all headed upstairs and went to bed. I locked the front door and then went back to me and Mer's bedroom. Luckily she was still fast asleep. I turned off the light and climbed into bed with her and wrapped my arms around her. I placed my arms over her flat bump and went to sleep.

^^ them in bed together, just imagine the lights are off

A/N As some of you have probably realised I copied the Meredith and Cristina part from the show as I think it fits well in my story and I do really like that scene. I must admit I do like this chapter it's probably my favourite so far. I will be making chapter 4 tomorrow and probably publish it tomorrow. I hope you all have a good day/night!
TikTok- merdermainly
Insta- merdermainly