Chapter 10 - Flutter

It had been 2 weeks and me and Cristina were still not talking but at this point I didn't care.

~Derek's POV~
I opened one eye and rolled over to turn off the alarm that was ringing in my ear. 5:30am. I yawned and looked over to see my beautiful wife sleeping. I listened to her snore and I placed my hand carefully on her shoulder.I kissed her neck, " hey it's time to wake up." She slowly turned over at me and looked deep into my eyes. I looked deep into hers. " hey." she yawned. " how you feeling?" I asked as I was rubbing her arm. " I feel like I'm... going to throw up!" Meredith rushed out of bed and into the bathroom. I got up and went inside the bathroom to see her head hung over the toilet.

~Meredith's POV~
Today my morning sickness was pretty bad however I still came to work. Derek told me to stay at home and rest but of course I didn't listen. We just arrived at work and Derek already got paged to the ER so I went over to the locker room to get dressed in my scrubs. I was getting changed when Cristina walked over to me, " me and you are both on Baileys service because Owen said I need a break from Cardio so I just wanted to let you know." " oh okay." I replied putting on my bright blue scrub top. " you're starting to show a little." Cristina said, forcing out a smile. " i am?" I questioned looking down at my stomach. She nodded and looked at me for a few seconds then left the room.

I headed down to the pit when I spotted Cristina standing with Bailey in trauma 2. I walked inside, "need any help?" I asked. " yes we could do with more hands." Bailey informed me. I was accessing some of the patients injuries when they began to code. Luckily, we got them back but we needed to head up to the OR. We went to OR 1 and got scrubbed in. I stood on one side and Bailey and Cristina stood on the other.

~Derek's POV~
Once I got in the hospital I was paged to the ER for PLF. The surgery took around 5 hours and the patient is currently stable. I went to the attending lounge and got a coffee and sat down, that's when Mark came in. "Hey." I smiled slurping my coffee. " hey, how's you and Meredith?" he asked. " we're good." I answered. " I'm sure you'll be a great father." Mark said with a grin on his face. " I hope." I replied as I got another page from the ER. I said bye to Mark and headed back to the ER. This time it was for a spinal fusion which I knew would take a while.

~Meredith's POV~
I had been in the OR for a few hours now and I wasn't enjoying myself as much as I should. For some reason, I kept feeling this flutter or something in my stomach which was definitely distracting me and my feet were throbbing. "Grey you wanna step out?" Bailey questioned while holding the clamp.
"nope I'm good." I lied trying to think positive about whatever this feeling was that I was experiencing. A few minutes later, the flutter became more painful and I frowned "ouch." " you okay?" Cristina asked. I nodded. "You sure?" Bailey said looking up at me. Once again I nodded.

~Derek's POV~
Surprisingly, the surgery went quite quickly and smoothly. Once I scrubbed out I walked past the OR board to see Meredith was in surgery with Cristina which I knew I had to see. I headed to OR 1 and sat in the gallery next to Jackson. "I don't think Mer's alright." He said starring through the glass. " what do you mean?" I asked, confused. " well Meredith's been holding her stomach every chance she gets a wriggling round, not only that, Bailey and Cristina has asked if she's okay at least 5 times now and early she said ouch but still insisted she was fine." Jackson explained. I glared down at Mer and realised that she did look quite uncomfortable and was wriggling round a lot. I watched the surgery for a few minutes until...

~Meredith's POV~
At this point, I became really worried but I had no idea what this fluttering thing was. Was it a miscarriage? Is there something wrong with the baby? I gave the Kocher forceps to Bokhee and knew I had to get checked out because something was clearly wrong. I turned my head round and spotted Derek sitting up in the gallery and looked at him for a few seconds, " Grey once we are finished would you like to close?" Bailey asked. I looked over at Bailey, " actually is it okay if I step out, you or Cristina can close?" I questioned. " uh..sure." Bailey responded as she continued to work. I let my hand float under my small stomach and looked back at Derek and scrubbed out. I ran out of the scrub room and sat on
a gurney with my hand on top of my stomach. In the corner of my eye, I spotted Derek running towards me. " Mer what is it, are you okay?" He questioned with a worried look on his face. " there's a flutter, somethings wrong, I know there is and it hurts." I explained. Derek helped me up and kissed me on the forehead and we went to get checked out by the OB.
We arrived at the OB room and I sat down. My nerves were all over the place and I could tell Derek was really worried as a frown spread across his gorgeous face. We held hands and he kissed me on my cheek just before our OB walked in. I explained what I had been experiencing and then she placed the wand on my stomach. " Meredith everything's fine." Lucy said with a smile on her face. " what about the fluttering?" Derek asked. " your baby is kicking." Lucy smiled. " ohh." I said feeling a bit embarrassed but also happy. Derek looked down at me and smiled, then looked at my stomach. " I'm gonna get some blood work just to make sure everything is top notch so I'll be back in a few minutes." Lucy left the room to get the blood work and it was just me and Derek. The room was filled with happiness but also silence. Lucy came back in, " okay everything looks fabulous, so your now 12 weeks and 3 days and the baby is the size of a plum." "that's great!" Derek exclaimed. I sat up as Lucy left the room and pulled down my scrub top and looked up at Derek. " I love you." I smiled. " I love you and the baby more." " I don't think that's possible." I giggled, then stood up and kissed Derek. Just before I went back to work Derek smiled, " take it easy okay, and if you feel sick or anything, page me."

~At the end of the day~
I was in the locker room getting dressed back into my clothes when Cristina walked in. " Mer you okay?" She asked in a caring way. " yeah I'm fine." I replied. " what was earlier about?" She questioned. " oh umm I felt a flutter in my stomach and I went to get checked out and found out it was the baby kicking." I explained, packing my bag. Cristina smiled, " that's good, that everything is okay..have a nice night Meredith." " you too." I said and then went to meet Derek in the lobby. I met Derek in the lobby then we went home. Once we got home we both headed in the kitchen, Derek made us both dinner and then we headed upstairs and got into bed. We lay next to each other talking about how the rest of our day went. " ahh." I frowned. " you okay? Derek asked. " put your hand on my stomach." I then began to smile.

^^ Derek placing his hand on Mer's stomach

"Wow" Derek laughed looking deep into my eyes,"we've got a football player right here." I smiled at him and we just sat there for a while as the baby kicked. Not long after, we fell asleep with Derek's hand still on my stomach.

A/N I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter :)
TikTok- merdermainly
Insta- merdermainly