High Hopes dont Last me Very Long

Lin was feeling incredibly uncomfortable while sitting at the dinner table.

Su was making faces at her to get her attention. "What?" Lin mouthed.

"What's wrong?" Su mouthed back.

Lin dismissed her with a wave of her hand and nudged Tenzin with her elbow to get his attention.

"Hm?" Tenzin looked at her.

"Gonna talk to me tonight?" Lin chuckled.

"Yes, of course. I was just catching Bumi up on-"

"Right, yeah, your nerd show." Lin said with a teasing smile.

"It is not a nerd show." Tenzin said.

"Yeah, I don't watch nerd shows." Bumi said with a mouthful of food.

"Swallow your food before you talk, that's disgusting!" Tenzin said.

Bumi laughed before taking another bite.

Tenzin turned back around to Lin, rolling his eyes.

"Hey, when Kya said she was going to Izumi's, who is that?" Lin asked.

"Oh, that's a friend Kya and Bumi knew in high school. I was acquainted with her, but she was more friends with my siblings." Tenzin said.

"Is her father Zuko?" Lin asked.

Tenzin nodded his head. "Yeah. I was actually talking with my father the other day and he was showing me his old high school photos. Turns out all of our parents hung out quite a lot." He said.

Lin looked down at her plate almost in disbelief.

This whole time, the 'caring, free spirited, kindhearted' best friend from high school Izumi talked so much about was Kya?

No fucking way.

"Lin, how's work going?" Katara asked.

"Ugh, she's got this perp she's been trying to catch for weeks. If she were any good like her mother, she would've caught them the first time." Toph said before Lin could answer.

"Mom, stop. It's not a big deal, just someone I catch smoking every once in a while." Lin said sheepishly.

"Oh, I'm sure you're great at your job. Your mother just has a knack for perfection. Always has." Katara teased Toph.

Lin sunk in her seat as conversations continued around.

All she wanted was for this dinner to be over.

Kya waited at the door after knocking. She heard footsteps coming towards the door, then the door swung open.

"It's about time you got here." Izumi joked as she pulled Kya into a hug.

"Yeah, sorry. I actually left dinner early." Kya followed Izumi into her home and shut the door behind her.

"That bad?" Izumi asked.

"Not bad just... painfully boring." Kya sighed.

They sat on Izumi's couch where Izumi already had two cups of hot tea on the coffee table.

"Oh, how I've missed your teas." Kya said with a smile after taking a sip.

"I can give you some of this blend before you go home if you'd like?" Izumi said.

"Absolutely." Kya sat her cup down.

"How have you been, Kya? It's been so long since we've talked." Izumi smiled at her.