Kya's Analepsis, Part One (Spend the Rest of My Life with What Could Have Been)

Three Years Earlier

The sky was a radiant blue. The clouds looked like cotton candy. And the ocean... Oh how the ocean smelled magnificent. Kya could never get tired of this. She leaned against the railing of the boat and took in a deep breath. She could see her next destination in the distance.

The Southern Water Tribe.

After all the stories she'd heard from her mother, she couldn't wait to visit the place. The boat stopped at the dock and Kya gathered her things. As she stepped of the boat, she could see two people approaching her.

She glanced behind her to see if maybe there was someone standing there. Maybe they were approaching them instead? But no one was there, and soon the two were standing in front of Kya. "You're Kya, right?" The woman said. Kya hesitantly nodded her head. "I'm so sorry, we should introduce ourselves," The man said.

"My mother was good friends with yours back when she lived in the Water Tribe. She sent word that you would be coming here. My name is Senna, this is my husband." She placed a hand on the man's shoulder.

"Tonroq." He held out his hand.

Kya's tense demeanor contracted as she remembered the stories she heard of Senna's mother. She shook Tonroq's hand, "It's nice to meet you." She smiled. "Let me help you with your bags. If it's alright with you, we've set up a guest room for you in our home." Tonroq took Kya's suitcase from her hand.

"But of course, don't feel obligated to stay with us just because we offered." Senna said, "The Southern Water Tribe has grown quite a lot over the years. If there's somewhere else you'd rather stay, or if you have a friend here-"

"Staying with you would be perfect. I'm only going to be here for a couple of weeks." Kya said, thanking the spirits they offered her a guest room, because of course, where she was going to stay had slipped her mind. She wasn't sure how she'd survived this long on her own with how forgetful she is.

Senna and Tonroq guided Kya to their home, only a short walk from the boats. Which Kya was grateful for since she hadn't realized how cold it really was in the Water Tribe. Although the mountains of ice should've been a sign.

When they walked in, Kya took a moment to look around the place. It was a small, but cozy home.

"Thank you so much for watching her." Tonroq said to the older woman standing in their living room. "Well, of course. Korra's always been a little angel for me." She snickered before exiting the home.

"Kya, this is our daughter Korra." Senna held the child in her arms, "She just turned a year old." Tonroq took Korra from Senna's arms and held her above his head, making Korra laugh.

Kya looked on with a smile. She wondered how her dad was doing. Is he worse? Is he getting better? She knew the latter wasn't true, but she still kept her slim ray of hope. She's been too scared to ask her mother for an update, but the fact that she's stopped receiving letters from him should be a sign of how his health has declined. How was her mother? In her letters she says she's doing well, but Kya doesn't fully believe that.

"Let me show you the room so you can start unpacking." Senna said, walking Kya down a hallway, "I hope this is alright." she said as she opened the door.

"It perfect, Senna. I appreciate you guys letting me stay here." Kya said with a smile of gratitude. "Of course. I'll leave you to unpack." Senna left the room.

Kya put one of her bags on the bed and opened it up. She started going through it, figuring out what clothes she would need for the time she spends here.

No t-shirts, no shorts, no skirts, she might just have to get a new wardrobe. "I guess this is what I get for staying in warmer climates." Kya said to herself, her hands on her hips. Her eye caught a blue fabric at the bottom of the suitcase. She started pulling it out as she realized it was one of her mother's old Water Tribe dresses. "Okay, yeah, this will work-" She heard a thud as she pulled the dress out.