I Think I Forgot the Things I've done, It's Just Good to be Alive

Just like any other morning, Kya got up, took a shower, made her tea, and sat at the table with the morning paper.

But unlike any other morning, Tenzin didn't speak a word to her when he entered the kitchen.

"Hey, airhead." Kya teased. He still said nothing.

"Hello? Did you go deaf overnight?" Kya smiled.

"No, but I know what you said to Lin. And I know how you've been treating her when I'm not around." Tenzin spoke quietly as he faced away from Kya.

Kya gasped slightly. "Tenzin- I'm-"

"Don't. There's nothing to apologize for since Lin somehow believes you don't mean any of it. She didn't even want me saying anything to you." Tenzin was clearly upset with her.

And rightfully so, Kya thought.

But Lin.. how could Lin still not hate her after everything Kya's done?

"Just.. stop treating my girlfriend like crap, Kya, just because you got caught doing something illegal." Tenzin looked back at her.

Kya's eyes widened in surprise. "Tenzin, please don't say anything to Mom, I-"

"I'm not. She'd ground you for years. Whether you're an adult or not. I don't like the way you've been treating Lin. And I surely don't like the fact you've been secretly smoking under Mom and Dad's roof. But telling them would just cause more problems." Tenzin still spoke in a low voice.

That's how Kya knew he was upset with her.

"Thank you. I don't deserve you keeping this a secret for me." Kya let her head hang.

"No, you don't." Tenzin left the kitchen with his cup of tea in hand.

Kya sighed before taking her cup to the sink and dumping the almost full cup of tea down the drain. She wasn't in the mood for tea anymore.

She dragged her feet behind her as she walked up the stairs.

"What's up?" Bumi nudged her shoulder as he passed her in the hallway.

"Nothing. Leave me alone." She kept walking.

Bumi stopped in his tracks and followed his sister to her room.

Kya went to slam the door behind her but Bumi stopped it with his foot.

"Ow! Shit! Dammit!" Bumi held his foot as he hopped on the other.

"Yeah, dumbass. I slammed the door." Kya sat down on her bed.

"What's wrong?" Bumi sat next to her, rubbing his foot.

"I fucked up, Bumi. Tenzin hates me and it's my own fault." Kya said.

Bumi shook his head. "He doesn't hate you. You're his sister. He's probably just mad right now." He said.

"And he should be. I've been acting like a child for the past two months." Kya placed her elbows on her knees and rested her head in her hands.

"Care to elaborate?" Bumi prodded.

Kya sighed. "You know how I told you Lin has been catching me when I go out?" She said.

Bumi nodded his head silently.

"Well I- I haven't exactly been the nicest to Lin since she and Tenzin started dating." Kya sighed.

Bumi didn't say anything, hoping Kya would continue.

"I yelled at her in the street the other night after running into Xin. The first night we met her, I called her a pig who was rummaging through our house." Kya sounded disappointed in herself.

Bumi chuckled a bit at the last part, not meaning to.

"Bumi!" Kya swatted at his arm. "It's not funny!" She said.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Look," Bumi placed a reassuring hand on Kya's shoulder, "Tenzin doesn't hate you. As I said, he's just mad. He'll get over it. But maybe apologizing to Lin wouldn't hurt? And maybe start being a bit nicer to her?" Bumi suggested.

Kya nodded her head. "I guess I'll have to swallow my stupid pride for a few minutes, huh?" Kya chuckled lightly.

"Yeah, you will. But it'll be worth it in the long run." Bumi smiled at Kya.

Kya smiled back before leaning into her brother, letting him hug her.

"Thanks, Bumi. You always know when I need a hug." She smiled.

Lin's head hurt.

The conversation with Tenzin last week, and the long shifts her mother has her working was making her tired. And honestly a little angry.

Lin hoped Tenzin hadn't said anything to Kya about their conversation. But knowing his loud mouth-

"Lin!" Her mother's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

She looked up and saw her mom waving her into her office.

Lin got up and made her way toward her mom.

"What?" She deadpanned.

"Lin, have a seat." Toph shut the door.

Lin sat down and waited for her mom to sit across from her, but she just stood there.

"Lin, I know I don't say it too often, but I've been really impressed with your work lately." Toph began.

Lin raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Uh, wow, thanks, Chief. I wasn't expecting to hear that." She said.

"I've been working you long hours these past few days. I wanted to see if you could handle it." Toph said.

"If I could handle it?" Lin asked.

"Lin, you're a great detective. And you really know how to put the other detectives in their place. I'm not doing this because I'm your mother, I'm doing this because you're damn good at what you do." Toph folded her arms.

"Doing what?" Lin furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Lin, you passed your Sergeants exam." Toph smirked.

Lin's face lit up. "Wait, seriously?" She shot up from her seat.

"Yes, Lin. I'm glad to have a new Sergeant in our department." Toph said.

Lin wanted to hug her mother but knew it would feel too awkward.

"Thanks, Chief." Lin nodded her head while trying to hold back her smile.

As she was walking out of the door, her mother stopped her. "Hey, Lin,"

"Yeah?" Lin turned around and looked at her.

"As your chief, good luck." Toph's expression softened. "But as your mother... I'm proud of you." She said.

Lin smiled at her mom before returning to her desk.

She grabbed her jacket and picked up her desk phone.

Lin listened to it ring a few times before Tenzin answered.

"Hey, Lin." He said.

"Hey, you, me, Kwongs Cuisine tonight." She said.

"You sound happy. What happened?" Tenzin said.

"I got promoted to Sergeant." Lin smiled.

"Lin! That's great!" Tenzin sounded ecstatic. "Yeah, we can definitely have dinner tonight. I'll meet you there at eight." Tenzin said.

Lin hung up the phone and clocked out before heading home to get ready for her date.