Chapter 5

whis·key

/ˈ(h)wiskē/

a spirit distilled from malted grain, especially barley or rye

"What did you just say?"

Evening came as the four spent their evening at the rooftop pool of the hotel they're staying at.

Sinb and Miyeon were both seated by the gutter, their feet dipped in the warm water.

"Is it okay for you to be wasted tonight?" Minnie came back with a bottle of whiskey and two glasses. "Definitely not, I don't want to miss my morning flight tomorrow." Soojin opens the bottle of whiskey, pouring enough amount on both of their glasses.

Minnie picks up some ice cubes putting it inside their glasses, a loud clink of their glass can be heard but Miyeon paid no attention to it. She gave Minnie the permission to drink the night away.

"By the way how's your date? I need some details." Minnie playfully utters as she sits beside the latter. Soojin smiles remembering how her day went, she wasn't expecting to see Elkie heck she the thought of going on a date with Elkie didn't cross her mind.

She barely knew the latter before, they only met once.

"I had fun." Soojin simply said, teasing the older by not giving some details. Minnie scoffs at the younger, "That's all? Nothing steamy or what?" Soojin looked offended for a few seconds, punching the Thai on her arms.

"What do you take me for? I'm not like that, we ate at this simple pastry cafe then went for a museum date." There was a trace of hesitation on Soojin's voice, contemplating whether she should share the fact that she was on a date with a freaking actress/model and was almost caught together at the Louvre Museum.

"And shopping?" Minnie shakes her head, she was totally convinced. "Yeah if you say so. Did you get her number?" A gasp left Soojin's mouth making Minnie laugh her ass out. Soojin realized that she forgot to ask for the girl's number.

After a few minutes of reflecting, Soojin shrugs her shoulder. "There's no use, I just went on that date because I promised Sinb." Minnie smiles, Soojin clearly had fun but the younger is choosing to ignore that.

"It's not like we're gonna cross paths again." Soojin added as she swirls her glass, the ice chinking as it goes around.

She empties her glass, pouring another round of the liquor on her glass. Minnie watches her silently, Soojin was visibly bothered that she forgot to ask her date's numbers.

===

The house is impressively huge for three people to live in it.

All around her, lonely crickets are calling for company and in her chest, her heartbeat is slow and steady, even though her mind is working overtime. After a while the same voice speaks again, but more distant, like it’s traveling with the wind now.

'What if I met her again?'

"Can I come in?" Elkie's voice echoes outside, Shuhua stood up from her bed to open the door. "I thought you're asleep already." Shuhua opens the door wider, letting her friend inside. "Unfortunately I can't sleep at all." Elkie flops down on Shuhua's bed.

It was already passed 12, Debby is definitely sleeping peacefully right now.

Shuhua lays down beside the latter, snuggling to Elkie like a baby. "What's the matter? Normally after a successful blind date you would be asleep like a log now." Shuhua wasn't clearly expecting for the girl to come to her at this hour.

Elkie pouted making Shuhua giggle, "I just have a question." Elkie fiddles with her fingers, feeling nervous all of a sudden. Shuhua watches in amusement, she haven't seen this side of Elkie.

"How did it feel when you fell in love? Like in general." Shuhua was surprised at the question, when was the last time she fell in love? Three years ago? Who was the last person she fell for?

Whether or not you believe in love, there was probably a moment that you knew you loved, or were starting to fall in love with, your partner.

These moments can be silly or heartbreaking, just like the relationships and the people in them.

Silence falls between them as Shuhua thinks about it for quite a long time. "I don't exactly know how it felt, something just came over me and I realized how happy I was." Shuhua truthfully answered.

"My body was telling what my brain already knew." Shuhua added, a gush of sadness suddenly hits her as images of the past fills her mind. Before she can even realize, a tear has already escaped from her eye that Elkie immediately noticed.

Shuhua cracks up out of nowhere, scaring Elkie's soul for real.

"Anyway that's how I felt it." Shuhua wipes the her tear, shrugging of the thoughts that she shouldn't be thinking of.

These days love is a different kind of tyranny.

Like an accidentally vegan snack food, love can stop you in your tracks. It can also be consciously welcomed in soft, rolling waves. Call to mind a time you’ve fallen in love and you’ll recognize the usual trends of emotional bedlam: the giddiness (and extreme bodily grooming) before the next date.

Falling in love can feel like floating into an aromatherapeutic sauna and reclining against the gently sloped log seats only to realize that the door is locked from the outside—it’s disorienting and maybe full-on panic-inducing.

Elkie hugs Shuhua, feeling bad of her own question.

"So does your question have to do with your 'date'?" Shuhua asks, anticipating for Elkie's answer. After Elkie came back by afternoon, the girl head straight to her room before she can even get any gossip.

Her chest feels heavy as each second passes by, the ticking sound of the clock in Shuhua's room added to her heavy feeling.

She just basically went on a date with the person whom she knows full well Shuhua loved genuinely.

"It was Soojin who I went on a date with." Elkie confessed, afraid to look at Shuhua. She buried her head on Shuhua's shoulder.

A whole minute passed by, Shuhua closed her eyelids letting the words sink into her. She wasn't bothered by the fact that Soojin and Elkie went on a date.

"What did you just say?" Shuhua asks, after processing what Elkie just said.

===
Double update, ayoko na magreviewಥ⁠‿⁠ಥ. Mag private university nalang akoಥ⁠‿⁠ಥ