Chapter 1

Gavin blinked into the dim room. He sighed as he realized once again where he was, and it wasn't the bedroom he'd called home for fifteen years.

Groaning, he sat up. The pain in his hips was a persistent pain he lived with currently. By the end of the day it typically waned, but it was brought back during the night. The cycle continued over and over until he was used to the monotony now.

He showered and did his skincare routine, making sure to cover the hickies on his neck with concealer and color corrector. The ones he couldn't hide he would have to wear a long shirt. Luckily it was cold so he could dress in layers. So far no one was the wiser.

He dressed quickly and went downstairs. He was alone in the big house, and it was eerily silent as he sat down in his usual spot. Within seconds, hot coffee appeared in front of him as well as Greek yogurt, fruit, and some bacon. He ate contentedly, shuffling every so often to relieve the discomfort in his backside and hips.

Gavin read the news as he ate. Gas prices had gone up again as well as stocks in social media. He was sure if he looked through the NASDAQ and everything else, he would see how his family was doing. Not that they would tell him personally. He hadn't spoken to them since he'd moved here.

Moved here wasn't the accurate term. More like tossed from his own home was a more accurate description. He didn't like to dwell on it too much, but it reared its ugly head every morning as he did his routine.

Finished with breakfast, Gavin sat back in his chair and sipped his coffee. He liked the peaceful atmosphere of the morning. No one was around to give him orders, and when they did, it was time to walk out the door. He spent his days going to classes and doing projects. It was a nice reprieve from his newly hectic life.

The bracelet on his wrist buzzed as an alarm went off. It looked like a watch, but it wasn't. It was more of a health bracelet. Other than keeping track of his vitals, it also had a built in alarm system that kept up with his schedule. It was also linked to his phone. It should have just been a smart watch, but he didn't argue about it.

"Mr. Gavin, it's time to go," a smart elder gentleman said.

Gavin got up and accepted the to-go cup of coffee from the smiling cook. He smiled in return. Despite living here, he was on good terms with the staff. Mrs. Morgan was the cook and she made him his favorites when he was in a bad mood. Mr. Sampson the driver always made sure he got where he was going on time. There was Mrs. Richards the housekeeper who did all of his laundry, and Mrs. Roberts the maid who made sure his room was clean. He should have been spoiled rotten, but this was more like a rotten cage.

Mr. Sampson held up his coat so he could shrug into it. He accepted his bag and phone then walked out the front door. Mr. Sampson had the door to the Escalade open for him and the interior was warm.

"How is your schedule today, Mr. Gavin?" he asked. They pulled away from the house and took the circle drive to the main road.

"It's light," Gavin replied. He pulled it up on his phone. "My nine o'clock class was cancelled. I have a lab at eleven then a break before my two-thirty. My last class lets out at quarter to six."

"Do I need to order your lunch for you?"

Gavin sighed. "No, you don't. I'll get a salad or something. I think I can cheat on lunch today."

Mr. Sampson smiled. "Just don't overdo it on the carbs. You've been doing so well."

"I will stay within the parameters."

Sighing, he looked over the approved list of foods he could have. He used to be able to go out and eat whatever he wanted. Now he couldn't even do that without permission, and he had to stick to a pre-selected menu. He couldn't weigh over one hundred ninety-five pounds because that was the recommended weight for his height.

His phone rang. He looked at the screen then answered almost immediately. He wasn't scared of the other person, but he knew what would happen if he didn't answer within three rings.

"Hello?" he said.

"Are you on your way to school?" a husky voice asked.

Gavin adjusted the phone until it was pressed between his cheek and shoulder. "Mr. Sampson is driving me. I wish you would let me drive myself. There's no point in this."

There was a disgruntled noise on the other end. "We've had this discussion, Gavin. You agreed to do everything that was asked of you. If I say you are to be driven to school, then that's how it's going to be. No more arguing."

"I'm not arguing. I just don't think it makes much sense to have someone drive me then come back and pick me up. I have my license, and I haven't done anything to go against any of the rules put in place." The other end was quiet for a long moment that Gavin thought he had hung up. "Zeke? Are you still there?"

"I'm still here," Zeke confirmed. He paused for a long time again. "Let's see how your grades look at midterms and we'll revisit it."

Gavin smiled to himself. Zeke Daniels didn't give in to many people. When he made a decision, he usually stuck to it. Gavin had just gotten him to relinquish some control over his day. Six months ago, he had two guards walking around campus with him. People thought he was an important person when he really wasn't.

After making straight A's and the dean's list, Zeke allowed him to go alone to class. They'd been discussing Gavin driving himself to class, but Zeke had been set against it until now. He had put Mr. Sampson in charge of making sure he got to school on time and back home before Zeke got home from work. He didn't argue too much because he knew he wouldn't be able to change it without giving something in return.

They said their goodbyes, and Gavin looked out the window the rest of the drive. He was quiet by nature, but lately he had blended into the background. He didn't want to call attention to himself because it meant he would be in the public eye. That wasn't something he wanted so he kept to himself.

"Mr. Sampson?" he said. He met the elder man's gaze in the rearview mirror. "I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow after class."

"Is everything okay?" the driver asked.

"Yes, it's just a routine. I made it last week."

"Alright, Mr. Gavin. I will put it in your schedule. Also, Mr. Daniels has asked me to add a fundraiser to your schedule for next weekend."

"Next weekend?" Gavin went into his scheduler and looked at the dates. "I can't do a fundraiser next weekend. I have to be at my grandmother's for her ninety-fifth birthday. They're coming up for the weekend."

"I will let Mr. Daniels know, and we will plan accordingly."

Satisfied that his Mr. Sampson would do as he said, Gavin sat back and watched the city come into view. They would arrive in several minutes and he needed to prepare himself. His friends would ask a million questions, and he would have to come up with some excuses. There was so much they didn't know.

They didn't know the entirety of his life now, and for a while, he wanted to keep it a secret. They would flip out if they figured out he had been sold by his grandfather to the highest bidder, and that the highest bidder had been billionaire Zeke Daniels.