Chapter 22

Zeke sat impatiently in the waiting room. Emily gripped his arm in a death grip beside him. They both were worried about what was going on in the operating room though they shouldn't.

The men had flown back from New Orleans that Sunday morning. Gavin had met with Dr. Wright and Anderson the next morning. Though not an hematologist or oncologist like his colleague, Anderson had been instrumental in Gavin's care. The young man had asked for him to be as closely involved as he could. Dr. Wright had been very accommodating since leukemia dealt with the whole medical field and not just the one doctor.

They'd confirmed what Gavin had read in the text message. They'd found a bone marrow donor and were going to schedule the transplant for the end of the week. Dr. Wright had an open spot in her surgery list on Thursday, and Gavin would take that spot. She would require him to spend twenty-four hours in the hospital before he was discharged into Zeke's care. He would come back for scans three or four months later to see the process.

Gavin had smiled as he'd been wheeled into the operating room. That had been two hours ago. Zeke and Emily had been sitting in the waiting room since then. Gavin had called his closest friend the moment he'd found out he was having surgery. She had made plans to be out of classes so she could support him.

This whole thing was moving faster than anyone had thought. They thought they would have a few more weeks before this step. Gavin hadn't even finished his latest rounds of chemo. Why would they push it up so quickly? Zeke wasn't complaining but he was curious. He'd asked Anderson, but his friend had never had an answer. Gavin had told him to leave it alone, and then he'd been wheeled back to surgery.

Emily's phone rang, and she had to disappear to take care of it. Zeke was left with his own thoughts. Gavin had already withdrawn from school. That was still fine since he wanted him to heal as properly as he could. He hoped he would be able to take care of himself and be as calm as he could. He had been through so much. He needed time to himself. Not only that, but now that he was the major shareholder in his family's company, he was going to have a lot more to deal with.

Zeke didn't want to lose the kid. He'd grown so attached to him it would kill him if he decided to leave. He had actually started to slowly change the older man. He wasn't as uptight as he had been, and Gavin hadn't been following his rules since he'd been sik. Yes, he still did things that had been ingrained in him, but Zeke didn't require them anymore. They still discussed everything Gavin did, but he wasn't as adamant on what the younger man did.

But the one question Zeke wondered was if Gavin would actually stay with him. He had said he would, but he wasn't sure if he actually would. He hadn't done right by him, and it may be the final factor after he was well. Even though Gavin had said he didn't want to leave, he would have the means to do what he wanted now. That meant he could leave if he wanted. Zeke would be powerless to stop him. He just hoped that everything would be okay, and Gavin would make the best decision for him even if he did leave.

The door to the room opened. Anderson walked through as he removed the mask. He smiled and nodded. Relief flooded through Zeke, and he felt tears of gratitude prick at his eyes. He rubbed his face tiredly and leaned his head back. That was the best news he had heard in weeks. Even more exciting than Gavin telling him he'd stay.

Anderson leaned against the wall and exhaled shakily. "On a personal note, I'm so glad that kid survived until now. He's a hell of a lot stronger than you or me."

"That is probably the most accurate thing you've said ever," Zeke laughed. He rubbed his eyes and stared at the ceiling. His eyes were wild with relief and his mouth opened slightly. Anyone would know the look. "Do you think he'll stay with me now that he's better?"